PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
So this is more of a first impression, that I will probably come back and revise before I would call it a full review. I am finger happy to write a few lines on this blend because back when I lived in the US La Gloria Cubana was one of my regular cigars. Heck, the tin art is the same as the ring art of the above mentioned cigars, so as soon as it got back in stock at a local B&M I ordered a tin - building about 6 months of anticipation.
Right off the bat, the plastic round film covering the tobacco didn't sit right with me, I just have a prejudice against putting plastic and tobacco in the same sentence. Any road, the nose was something very familiar, somewhere in between old Romanian Cigarettes and those 1980s Camel Cigarettes that my father in law loved so much. Must be the oriental I said to myself ... and indeed it was, I will get back to that in a bit. The moisture level was dry by my standards (and I think I have expressed my preference, many a times before, for an above average moisture level in my english blends), not bone dry but just a little bit springy dry, with some unusable crumbs left at the bottom of the inner paper. I also blame the fast pace of the smoke on this dryness - it does tend to get a tad hot, but nothing one cannot handle. Spark, fire, puff puff ... disappointment, no cigar leaf, no Gloria Cubana of 10-15 years ago, but one heck of a spicy smoke. The oriental is quite forward, and the latakia a second violin. The perique is there with you all the way, as one can feel the peppery presence, but as far as my taste buds go I get little flavor from it. Virginia ... well some grassy sweetness seems to complement the latakia, so there is your virginia. I like this blend, mostly because it gives a degree of diversity to your otherwise rather flat english trend. The spiciness of the oriental assisted by all the other good stuff is interesting, but I am not sure at this point if I would have it as an all day smoke for that exact reason. The nicotine hit is above medium to my taste, so again a smoke to be enjoyed after a rich meal, or late in the evening with something strong. I would be comfortable to label this as a 3.5/4, but definitely not a full 4 star - it lacks a smoothness that I appreciate in these types of blends.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Good review @madox07. I agree with your assessment. I smoked through two tins of LGC last year and found it a nice pace. It will not be a blend I repurchase, but it was not a bad experience for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried this, but with that name, no cigar leaf seems like a misnomer. The names of blends can be poetic and even oddball, but they shouldn't be misleading. Lane is too mainstream to do this. Nonetheless, sounds like a pretty good smoke.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
1 For @ Mso489, I do agree with You,when label says la Gloria Cubana I'd suspect it ought to have some cigar leaf to be found, Yet I have had a tin of this stuff before,could not smoke it through.Tasted very peppery and like mediocre quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.