PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
I have spent over an hour trying to get in touch with someone at Lane Limited to ask about their IQ pipe tobacco blend. I was shunted from one person to the next and somehow ended up talking to a lady at American Snuff, who not only didn't know anything about IQ, but told me they don't make such a tobacco. Now, I know that Lane was just purchased by STG (Scandinavian Tobacco Group), and that there is probably a lot of corporate shuffling going on, but I'm still amazed that all the very snippy operator at Lane Limited will do is give you two phone numbers that put you onto people who aren't even aware of the products their own company produces.
Anyway, what I was trying to learn was if it was possible to obtain IQ without humectants, preservatives, whatever. I like it as a blending tobacco, but would rather get it in a more natural state. If anyone has any ideas to help me out with this it'd be much appreciated.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Maybe you're getting the run around because Lane is a wholesaler and distributor and not a retailer properly staffed with the customer service arm necessary to involve with such inquiries. Just a wild guess, though.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think they're still in a state of flux with the transition. I hope that now that Lane is with a real pipe tobacco company they will eventually settle down and get back to making some of the blends that we're killed off years ago. I still lament the demise of my favorite blend- Highland. Lane made some great latakia blends 30 years ago. I guess time will tell.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
You should contact our very own Lawrence... I'm pretty sure he is not only the #1 spokesperson for Q1 but also the Master Blender... :puffpipe:

jgarf88

Lurker
Apr 27, 2011
Gentlemen, Lane Limited is a manafacture and is not hiding. If you are asking about 1-Q rather than IQ you will find more answers. 1-Q has many names depending on where you get it too. There is some big changes being made at Lane and all for the good!! The reason you had not been reasonably answered is because Lane has no sales staff until now. American Snuff Co. was the provider of that service while Lane was under RJR Brand Portfolio. Now STG has taken over (Merger Completed March 1st, 2011) and Lane will have it's own stand alone sales staff beginning May 1st, 2011. Tell me what you would like to know and I will get you some answers on Lane Limited and it's pipe tobacco.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Jgarf,

I was told by my tobacco shop that it was called IQ, so thanks for the correction. I really like the blend, but I'd like to know if it's treated with humectants and/or preservatives and, if so, if it would be possible to obtain it without these additives. Thanks for chiming in. Looking forward to your reply.

990rick

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2011
Well, not to rush to judgment, but I have to say it looks to me like Jgarf either didn't have any more luck than me in running down info on 1Q or the folks at Lane Limited aren't interested in divulging any. But after reading a very good book on tobacco I suspect that most, if not all, the flavor in 1Q comes from casing sauces which could be natural, but are more likely to have come from an industrial laboratory than Mom Nature. I like the flavor of 1Q, not alone, but as a way to add more flavors to other blends, but now I'm hoping to find a good flavorful blend that is as close to free of casing sauces, top dressings and humectants as possible. I'm thinking this probably means delving into English blends. That seems to be the one country that keeps a tight control over what may be added to tobacco whether intended for pipes, cigars, cigarettes, chewing or exorcisms. Wish me luck!

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
Has anyone recently ordered any 1-Q? I just got my yearly summer order and this year it looks darker than last. The odor is also slightly different than I remember, but not by a lot. The bright leafs in the past were almost unbelievably golden and the ribbon cut was long and fluffy. This year the bright leaf is more of a medium burley brown color and the cut isn't very reminiscent. Have not smoked it yet, just observations.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Rick, i think this would be a good question not only towards 1Q, but most tobacco blends. I have an auto-immune disorder, so finding a tobacco with little to no casing would be a nice find. I've not tried many blends as i dont want to spend the money on them to find that they make me feel ill. So it would be intresting to find some nice blends ahead of time that are free of alot of these type of addatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.