PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I still have yet to try this blend since they've reinstated it. Of course I never had it before then either. But it sounds quite interesting to me, and I was wondering what some of you thought about it. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a tin or two.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked it in the 1970's and then got some from around 2002 and it was different. This new blend is what I remember buying in the Lane Ltd. store on 42nd St in New York. Good stuff so take the plunge.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It is very good, in the last month I finished a tin...and 8oz of bulk! I would not hesitate to buy it again. If you like MM965, I think you will like it, it's actually a more complex and flavorful tobacco than MM965.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks for chiming in everyone. With your recommendations, and the few reviews I saw on it elsewhere, I put in an order for two from 4Noggins. A few cents more (lol) than a couple other sites, but he had a couple things no body else ever seems to have in stock, and I've witnessed how fast orders arrive from there, so that few extra dimes or so should be well worth it :lol: I suppose I'll open one tin upon arrival, and let the second age a bit. If I like it I may order more. I'm beginning to put together a list of tobaccos I must have in a cellar. Let's see if this one makes the list :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Anthony, smoke them fresh. I think aging of lat and/or Balkan blends doesn't get you anything special. The spicy tobaccos tend to lose their zip and that's what you're buying. I have some CA that's approaching 12 years old and I don't find it to be anything special versus new. Just my opinion but buying something to save for five plus years before smoking doesn't work for a guy in his 60's. It'd be my luck to roll a 7 before I cracked an aged tin.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have a few ounces of the bulk CA jarred up and I smoked a few bowls when I first got it. I wasn't moved by it all that much, but I will revisit it soon. The bulk stuff was a little too moist and at the time I was too lazy to dry some out before smoking so that may have influenced my experience. It's not that I was expecting to discover the end all, be all of English blends with this Lane re-creation but I do believe it may have been hyped to the point of going over the top. A little more time in the jar may reform my opinion and I hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.