PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I had my first bowl of Lane 1Q today, and although I was not smitten with it, I did discover the source of the aroma of many estate pipes that I've purchased. It was an "Ah HA!" moment.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Hahah Yep!
Lane 1Q is the bane of my existence! Sometimes it takes 3 maybe 5 S/A treatments to rid a nice estate of it!!!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
It must be my taste buds, but English blends seem to be more pungent and linger in estate pipes more than any Lane 1Q, but then I'm an aro smoker.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Oh, hell yes.
Hate to offend all of you Lane 1Q smokers out there, and you are legion, but I'm with Woodsroad and Branzig on this one.
The majority of the thirty plus estate burners I've purchased in the last three years have been permeated with that aroma and it's tough to tame even with S/A and ozone treatments.
Fnord

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Plateauguy, you may be correct, but the smokiness of Latakia is pretty much a normal background aroma for me. We heat with wood, my favorite tea is Lapsong and bacon? Oh yes....bacon.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
you ever consider getting yourself a pipe retort? with it I've gotten rid of cherry tobacco ghosting (with just two treatments) from a pipe.
Nah, I have never considered it. If a couple S/A treatments don't work I designate it an English pipe and start smoking Ol' Ironsides in it! Kills ol' lane pretty quickly! :lol:

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
As one who's restored quite a number of estate pipes for my humble collection, I've encountered the ghost of a vanilla aromatic like 1Q (a touchstone aromatic) substantially more often than the ghost of an English blend.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Yes, 1-Q is by FAR the biggest selling pipe tobacco in the US. It is sold by pipe stores across the country, under about a zillion different names (normally, a local shop buys it in bulk and then renames it).

So, why is it such a big seller? Because it's a damn good aromatic. If you don't like aros, then clearly stay away from it. You won't like it. But guys who like aros seem to gravitate toward it like white on rice. I'm only a part-time aro smoker (I much prefer latakia and heavy perique blends like Old Joe Krantz), but I've smoked my share of it and can understand the appeal.

That said, it will ghost a pipe pretty bad. Not as bad as Ennerdale, but you still might have an uphill fight getting it clear of the distinctive sour/vanilla taste. Unless, of course, you follow Branzig's advice (which I will second). Smoke a lat bomb in it a few times. Old Ironsides, Pirate Kake, Odyssey, or Ten Russians will freaking kill it dead. If you're a smoker of pure VAS…. well, I don't know what to tell you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Not sure what you mean by that.

Yeah, I don't care for 1Q. I'll try it again a few more times, and I'm not throwing out the 4 oz that I have yet, but it didn't bowl me over (bad pun, sorry).
After the 1Q, I loaded up with My Own Blend's Livgarde and all was well with the world again. That's an aro I could smoke all day and still find new things in it to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.