PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I found a new bulk daily smoke at my local tobacconist that I thoroughly enjoy: 10 Downing Street, a tasty mild English blend apparently made by Lane. I couldn't find much recent info on this, other than a 2+ year old post about it being a discontinued blend. A little moist, but after short drying time it's a wonderful smoke.
I asked the store clerk about availability, and he told me they have several pounds in stock. Does anyone know if Lane just resurrected this blend, or should I buy a few pounds while it's still available?
Thanks!

Jeff

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
How long have you been a pipe smoker? If you're a new pipester, I'd avoid buying serious poundage until you get your bearings. Buy half a pound and see how you feel about it in a few months.
If you've been smoking awhile, and know what you like, then buy as much as you think you'll smoke. Unlike oil, tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Started pipe about 20 years ago, but seriously into it about 12 years ago. I had a few favorites get scarce (Butera's Kingfisher for instance), so may go ahead and stock up on this while it's available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeff', Lane makes several good mild English bulk blends, as I recall, but I don't remember the 10 Downing Street name, but that may be because many pipe shops and chains re-name tobacco so you'll come back and buy it from them, and they do this (I think) with Lane's approval. So for sport, you might want to buy one or two ounces of Lanes

bulk English blends online and find if if any of them are the same as the one sold as 10 Downing. Chains and shops use Peter Stokkebye's blends the same way, and others. Some shops will tell you who manufactures a blend and what the blender calls it, but not all will do that. Understandably, they want your business. Likewise, house pipes are made by one pipe maker or another, and the retailers are not always willing to say who made it. A few years ago, one of the moderators ran a long list of the many names of Lanes 1Q used by many different sellers.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I don't believe we've produced that one in about 7 or 8 years. Not unheard of for a retailer to have bag in an old tub for that period of time, I suppose, although unlikely if the blend needed a little drying first. Glanced at the recipe and the primary ingredient is Black cav, with a mild dose of Latakia in there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I asked the store clerk about availability, and he told me they have several pounds in stock. Does anyone know if Lane just resurrected this blend, or should I buy a few pounds while it's still available?
I don't believe we've produced that one in about 7 or 8 years.
That answers that!

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Thanks for the answers!
I recall the description was mixture of VA, black cav, white burley, and latakia. I'll have to go tomorrow and stock up.
It's a bit light on the latakia, but enough to keep it in the English camp for me. Best of all, it's the only English I'm allowed to smoke outside of my man cave, as my wife actually enjoys the aroma of this one. :puffy:

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Addendum: To follow up, a bit of hunting turned up Lane's HGL, the description of which is very similar to afore mentioned 10 Downing St by my local tobacconist. As mso489 described, he may just be renaming HGL... Regardless, very nice smoke!

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Sounds like they switched when the original 10 Downing was discontinued. As Mr. Wortzel noted, it would be unusual for a blend that old to still be fresh in the tobacconist jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.