PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I tend to prefer milder tobaccos in the morning. Until recently, that would typically mean perhaps Orlik Golden Sliced, Dunhill London Mixture, or another mild Virginia or English.
But recently I've started to enjoy aromatics as well. I was going to get rid of all my aros, and then I received a sample of Bagpiper's Dream. Loved it. Bought some. Started smoking the other aromatics that I had - and found I love them too.
This morning's smoke was Lane 1-Q. I know that this is not necessarily considered the finest of the aromatics. But I really am enjoying it these days, and its mild nature makes it perfect in the morning.
The Ivarsson Sixten designed Stanwell 19 is also a fine pipe for an aromatic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lanes LL-7 is another good one along those lines. Love my non-aros, but aromatic blends are a good change-up.

Love the Ivarsson design pipe; I have a Stanwell 86 pot that is also an Ivarsson design.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Newminster Danish Gold is light, with a nice aroma
My local brick and mortar store "Cheap Tobacco" carries the Newminster line. I've smoked the Danish Gold and enjoyed it quite a bit. Reminds me something of Lane 1-Q. Very mild.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I took some 1Q to a local music festival a couple of weekends back - got a number of compliments from random passers-by, who I suspect were startled to find someone actually smoking tobacco in a pipe (I am in Colorado, after all...).

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
You might enjoy Lane Hazelnut if you like 1Q? Same light aromatic but has a little nutty flavor added.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I've been smoking Lane Crown Achievement over the past few days, and at first, I thought, Meh... This evening, for whatever reason, I smoked a pipe of it, and thought, :!: OMG!! This is GREAT!! It's like each draw I took, it just got sweeter. I am in love! :)

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
1-Q is always a winner, plus my wife is okay with the "not as stinky as the others" room note.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Lane 1-Q has lost out to others in my rankings lately and dropped down a little bit, but when I do reach for it it tends to be in the morning.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
andya27, like you, I've been mostly smoking non-aro's but am starting to smoke aro's once in a while. 1Q is one of the few that I keep around. 35 years ago, I'm certain that I was buying this (under a different name) from a B&M. My brother-in-law shares my thoughts that this is, in fact, one of the blends we used to smoke back in the day. We frequented the same B&M even though we did not know each other at the time. Not a huge coincidence since it was the only B&M around as far as I know. There are, occasionally, posts about what blends or styles people like in various seasons -- what do you smoke in the heat of the summer, etc. For me, something about the crisp, cool air of autumn makes me think of aro's.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
1Q is a great morning smoke. I usually smoke it when I'm out and about as most people will tolerate it. I also enjoy Trout Stream in the morning as well. They both go good with a nice cup of coffee.

Personally I think 1Q is a great blend for anyone in the pipe smoking hobby. Whether you are a beginner or an experience piper. Its a great blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.