Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Lane 1-Q

(19 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jrblount

Login to Send PM

Not a question but diffidently a beginner here. Having my first bowl of Lane 1-Q right now and WOW! So much better then the OTC stuff I have bought and smoked previously. I bought a tin of 4th Generation Family Reserve and H&H White Knight. Hopefully they will be as good and I can keep expanding my pipe tobacco experience.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

1-Q is said to be one of the most popular tobaccos around -- frequently re-labeled by B&Ms everywhere.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  3. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I'm not certain for sure but I'd say a large percent of pipe smokers keep some on hand, I know I do.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A diffident pipe smoker? Or did you mean definitely a beginner? Sorry, no experience with Lane 1-Q.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1Q's a good old standard blend. I have about a third of a small jar around here somewhere.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jrblount

Login to Send PM

Oops, I meant "definitely a new pipe smoker"

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  7. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q, rightly named because it is 1st in the queue of a loooong list of tobacco's to explore! I enjoy 1-Q as well, although have not smoked it in a few years. RLP-6 is pretty much the 1-Q with some burley added which (I think) gives the smoke something it needs.

Isaac

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WhiteKnight is very good, but a totally different thing than 1Q. You will be facing a very latakia heavy blend that is accompanied by a lot of other Orientals that will give you a very incense-like smoke. All flavors that you get from WK will be pure tobacco, whereas 1Q has a vanilla topping added to give it, it's flavor.
    WhiteKnight is a tobacco blended by our very Russ Ouellette from Hearth and Home tobaccos. It was designed to replicate the world famous Balkan Sobranie (which has changed over the years to not be as good as it used to be). So, he did a remix with this one to make it as close to the original as possible.

Balkan Sobranie is what gave the whole genre of Orientals the name "Balkan Blends." So, I hope you hand as much joy with that one as the 1Q.

I've never tried the 4th Generation blend you mentioned.

Enjoy!!!

Michael
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  9. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q's OK, although not my own favorite Lane. For me that'd be BCA. But 1-Q is a good blend, make no mistake. 4th-Gen is good too; in fact I've got a new tin in the trunk that I need to remind myself to crack at lunch -- thanx!

Cosmic is definitely correct on WK; a move from an aro to a "lat bomb" is going to be a biiiig leap, but once that bug bites you everything less is for hoi polloi!

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think 1Q is Lane's best seller now for probably generations, and as mentioned on this thread, it is often renamed by pipe shops to sustain being the source of it for new pipe smokers. If it becomes a little too quiet for you, I think it is quite accepting of mixing in a little of other livelier leaf as whim suggests.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad you found a tobacco you love. It will keep you hooked and start you down the rabbit hole of trying all the tobaccos! Ha, enjoy.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you wish to spend more time with aro's, my recommendation is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. It's the one I can't do without.

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. mudcamper

mudcamper

Login to Send PM

If you like 1-Q then I also recommend trying RLP-6. I like it better than 1-Q.

I am an aromatic fan myself and like most Lane products. Their Missouri Meerschaum branded Great Dane is my favorite.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  14. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

At 2 bucks an ounce woooo

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  15. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try mixing 1Q and BCA 50/50. Fantastic room note. 1Q also works well mixing it 50/50 with RLP-6.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

White Knight is the first one I smoked and I enjoyed it very much. The only oth I've tried is SWR.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  17. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lane 1-Q is the tobacco that prevents me from saying "I never smoke aros." Because the stuff is just delicious. Great burn, not cloying or goopy, that toasted marshmallow aroma.

Good stuff.

I always and only smoke this in a cob, which I am convinced adds to the sweetness. It is a "dessert" smoke for sure.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  18. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Always have some in the cellar. Bottom line it’s a great smooth and mild smoke for a lazy Sunday afternoon in the backyard

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

bron340

Login to Send PM

I have some drying out as I type.

Posted 4 hours ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   biosharkdev, dukdalf, trudger, ashdigger, keith929, cigrmaster, chuckyeageronlsd, theloniousmonkfish, mikethompson, georged, ssjones, fusion, elessar, driftedshank1, dmcmtk