PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, my pair of Shire Cobbit corncob churchwardens arrived testerday. The Shire, not surprizingly, offers a great smoke, and of course is attractive to boot. I suppose the stem could be sturdier, but I'm fairly certain we'll see a Forever Stem soon for the Cobbits family. But as it is now, the Shire is still a fine pipe--and this is from someone who smokes cobs with some reluctance and for rotation purposes. Rotation with these pipes has turned out to be a lot easier! The extented stem provides a cool smoke, and the Shire is one other thing that must be needed in the pipe industry: a short churchwarden. Clenching is slightly cumbersome because of the smaller button, but if you grip it a little bast the button, clentching becomes much easier.

I'm thinking about a Dward Cobbit now--I understand it's a smaller pipe, making it ideal to smoke while working either at a desk or in a workshop or garage. I'm sure it will smoke just as well as a Shire, and probably clentch better. But I'm sure, depending on how long these pipes last (rim burn is already started, even with a Zippo equiped with a pipe chimney), but that's to be expected on a cob.

All in all, a terrific pipe.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I don't have the new variations yet, but have a great cob with a forever stem and it smokes wonderfully. It also has rim coloration from smoking and lighting, but that gives it great character.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, phonomet, sorta. I don't know if they are sturdier than acrylic--I've always gotten the impression acrylic was tougher, but I could certainly be wrong. In any event, since writing the initial post of this thread, I went ahead and ordeedr one of each of the remaining cobs, the Elf, the Swarf, and the Wizard. It seemed to me, I rationalized, that each Cobbit would be ideal for a different situation--the Wizard for a long, meditative smoke, the Shire and Elf for a regular smoke, and the Dwarf as a work pipe.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Apologies for the typos in my last posting. I had just wakened up, and wasn't wearing my reading glasses--plus, I have two numb fingers from nerve damage on a certain nerve in my left arm (the nerve that causes a "funny bone"). But "Swarf" could be an interesting word for a species of The Fair Folk in a novel...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks! I'm greatly gratified to contribute after all this time here as an "enabler." Again, thank you!

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Great review sparrowhawk! Makes we want to get a set myself. I would prefer to swap out the acrylic bits on my four cobs to the vulcanite but the price insn't justified the want.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I enjoy smoking C&D Haunted Bookshop in my White Wizard Pipe, for those days I want to relive LOTR

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I just received mine yesterday; a dwarf and a shire. I smoked the dwarf today and it performed well. Just the size bowl I was looking for to enjoy a lunch time smoke. I will probably fire up the shire tomorrow as my TAD from 4noggins and SP will both be arriving.

matthewsims

Lurker
Jan 28, 2015
Hey there. So does a longer stem mean a cooler smoke, and shorter stem mean a warmer smoke? I'm obviously new and don't know too much. Is there a good place to learn vocabulary and terminology?
Matthew

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Hi Mathew, yes you're right about the longer stem being a little cooler. The front home page here has a ton of info on learning about piping. Also youtube has a lot. 8)

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not experienced enough with churchwardens to tell you if these shorter churchwardens smoke cooler, but they appear to. I'm looking forward to the Forever Tips people to make acrylic stems for the Cobbit line--even though the current stems are durable, the button is still a bit small for clenching, and I've sent them an email asking them if they plan to produce Cobbit stems, and if so when.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
We sent a full set of Cobbits to Dave Wolff at WalkerBriarWorks last week, so he should have an answer soon about the Forever stems. As I have said before, Dave is a great guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.