PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
Decided to go with the Lancers Slices. I was expecting a big bag of broken flake all cut up and shoved in a bag. Turns out they pack this tobacco in long flake format, that is folded in half and bagged in a foil air tight bag. The flakes are 12 to 14 inches long. The photo of the individual flake is a misleading since it was taken at an angle.
CIMG2724.JPG

CIMG2725.JPG

CIMG2730.JPG

It is packed on the dry side so the weight is mostly dry tobacco rather then wet tobacco you typically get when its flake. You sure get a lot of it too. By the time I was done jarring it up, it nearly filled 3 jars, and I packed it pretty tight. It was easy to pull apart the long flakes into smaller "broken flakes."
CIMG2732.JPG

CIMG2734.JPG

It smells wonderful. Very rich latakia smokey aroma dominates the senses. Looking forward to trying this soon, maybe tomorrow. at around $50 for 500 grams including shipping from Mars, it is worth adding to your stash.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I'm smoking it as I type and I agree, it's worth getting.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for posting ... that's one that I've been meaning to grab.
Rumor has it this flake is similar to the old Bengal Slices.
BTW ... where have you been the last couple of years? :)

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Pick up some myself, with my latest order. Now I'm really looking forward to it (well, more than I was anyhow).

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
SLR:
That's a joyous mound of tobacco right there. Lancers Slices is an exceptionally good Lat blend and I enjoy the stuff immensely.
I went through your older posts from several years ago, SLR, and if you ever tire of the LS please send me a PM or chuck it our there on the WTT list. It'll disappear in a heartbeat.
My top five Lat list rotates daily amongst ten different blends and Lancers Slices is always a contender.
Fnord

Mar 1, 2014
I like Ten Russians more (I'm a sucker for flavour kicks), but this being primarily a Virginia blend I'm hoping it turns into something magical in a year or so.
How big are those jars?

Mar 1, 2014
I guess I'm a little picky about the density of my cellar, with some stuffing you can pretty much always get 1lb in a quart.

I just take the entire bundle and stuff it in all at once, which was a little cumbersome with Lancer's Slices, but two bags of FVF actually fit very nicely this way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's impressive looking, the packaging and the leaf itself. I think you get more puffs per pound

with flake or cube. That should hold you for the winter -- well it could.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. Gotta add the 500g bag to my cellar some time down the road for sure.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Lancer's Slices, I just jarred up a pound yesterday. It lacks the Oriental Bengal had, but they are definitely in the same family. It's really a very simple flake, but it is melded so well that it feels high brow.
Every time I smoke it I think "This is a very clubby blend. Now where did the Lord Admiral get to, and where's the port?"

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I cellared 32 quarts last week and it takes major pressure to fit a pound in one jar, and most blends I have still wouldn't fit. I made it easier on myself and went with 2 jars for all single pounds. I have 40 oz of the new Lord Nelson from Sutliff coming and it will fit in 4 jars with no problem. I'm thinking a small amount of extra air space might help the magic to work in sealed jar.
tinner

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
What would you compare the Latakia level to EMP, Night Cap, Pirate Kake, Star of the East?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been working my way through a sample of Lancer's Slices, and I'm rather enjoying it. There's definitely a distinction between this blend and the other Latakia blends I've smoked previously (mostly H&H - Daybreak, House of Lords, Victorian Stroll, plus a couple of the Froggies), but I haven't done a back-to-back taste test to quantify it yet. According to a review at luxurytobaccoreviews.com, it compares favorably with the blends jfox250 mentioned, but as I haven't tried any of those yet, I can't confirm or deny...

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
I like this stuff, too! In fact, I just wrote a review recently. For those who are interested:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2482/charles-fairmorn-lancers-slices#review66569

stluisrey

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2010
Orange, CA
Decided to give this tobacco a try. bunched up some of the broken flake, folded it, and stuffed it in my small bulldog style pipe. Easy to prepare with the fold and stuff method. At first light, it was rather peppery, some bitter flavors with a sweet background of flavors. As I smoked it down, more of the sweet came through and less pepper. Rich tobacco flavors come through when smoked slow. Easy to smoke with no tongue bite. Room aroma is quiet pleasant. This tobacco is an absolute joy to smoke. Rich and smooth most of the way. Really enjoyed it, decided to go for a second bowl this fine warm evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.