PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ok, I give up! Just what the hell is THIS ugly looking little pecker supposed to be? Perhaps a woodwind instrument such as an oboe that one can smoke? Other than that, just where does the nomenclature ‘Two Egg’ come in?
1P1mcES.jpg

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
That would be a duck head, L'Anatra's logo. They are good quality pipes that really aren't that expensive for the quality they deliver.
The two eggs refers to the quality of the briar. Don Carlos does something very similar with their One, Two, Three or Four Notes and they use a music note as their logo.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
One, two and three eggs are L'Anatra's grading system. More eggs the better.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That would be a duck head, L'Anatra's logo. They are good quality pipes that really aren't that expensive for the quality they deliver.
The two eggs refers to the quality of the briar. Don Carlos does something very similar with their One, Two, Three or Four Notes and they use a music note as their logo.
OK, but that still doesn't explain the ugly protrusion on the pipe. I've looked at the other pipes and they do indeed look nice, but I'm trying to understand what purpose it serves?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Maybe a carburetor? :wink:
I was bidding on one that had the silver duck head inlayed on the stem. Not sure I would want a duck looking at me everytime I smoked it.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I think it's another version of Peterson's system. The moisture collects and is then drained from the bottom. No gurgle. Functional? Yes. Butt ugly? Absolutely!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Cavalier
The Cavalier is based on the historical Tyrolean pipe, so named for its origin in the Tyrol region (modern day Italy, Austria, and Germany), but the pipe is of German descent. The distinct feature of the Cavalier pipe is that its round shank extends well below the entirety of the bowl, eventually becoming the “foot” of the pipe. The bowl is usually Billiard shaped, if only a bit more rounded, and rests atop the shank like a rose bud on a thin branch. Its draught hole is drilled all the way down to the end of the ”foot,” meaning that the draught hole stretches from the very top to the very bottom of the pipe. The design is functional, as unwanted moisture from the tobacco is drawn out of the bowl and into the base of the pipe, where it will not reach the mouth of the smoker. The “foot” is adorned with a removable cap that allows trapped moisture to be released, and the draught hole to be easily cleaned. Not a pipe to be clenched in the mouth, the Cavalier is best smoked at home, where one can fully appreciate the nature of its design.

Cavalier shape

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'd call it a Cavalier although a very unusual version of such. You'd have to be careful not to get any backwash into the bowl. Different, that's for sure.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Not my cup of tea. I also think the duck head is hokey. But I agree they are good pipes at a good price.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I would say the shape is a cross between a cavalier and the not often seen acorn on a branch, although I agree this one is more of an apple or tomato on a branch.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Kid, "It's a tumor!"
Arnold Schwarzenegger, "IT IS NOT A TOOOMAH!!!"
Ah, Kindergarten Cop was a great movie. lol

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Mortise runs under the bowl, bowl airway is in the bottom of the bowl, makes for a different smoke. Moisture collects in the mortise, the protrusion has a screw cap you take off to drain periodically. Basic Cavalier. Some are more bent than others, some are fully functional, others, like the Calumet pictured, IIRC, are just for looks.

And yes, the more eggs the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.