PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Ok this one is a first of many for me. It is my first L'Anatra, my first olive wood pipe, my first time ordering from Al Pascia, and my first time ordering from a shop outside the United States. I've been considering an L'Anatra for some time because they put out some great looking pipes. And I've seen some great looking olive wood pipes, and just haven't had the opportunity to snag one yet. So when this one showed up on Al Pascia some time ago, a beatiful L'Anatra and an olive wood at that, I fell in love with it. I was just hoping nobody else bought it before I had some extra money come in.
I've never ordered from a pipe retailer outside the U.S. but my concerns were calmed by some of members here. Thanks, all :D And so I went through with my purchase. I've visited the site often, as they receive some wonderful pipes, and their photos are top notch. And I love watching the videos they provide of each pipe, something I wish more retailers would consider.
Well to keep from rambling on and on, here's the pipe I purchased. It's certainly one of the nicest olive wood pipes I've seen.
LAnatra-2-Eggs-smoking-pipe-285-LAnatra-285-Alpascia-img-137987-w580-h216.jpg
[/url][/img]
To save space, here's a link to the pipe with more photos and the specs. And for a real treat, scroll down to watch the video. http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/d/LAnatra-285-i35726.html
Now the waiting game begins :mrgreen:

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Anthony, that is one gorgeous pipe. Love everything about it. I bought one of their reverse-Calabash pipes. It's a great little pipe. Let us know how it smokes after you get it. If I remember correctly I received mine no longer than about three days after they shipped it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great looker, Anthony, and the video prompts good thoughts, though a temptation. Every pipe I noticed was way bigger than my current habits support, not to mention my jaw.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Very nice pipe. I just can't get past the duck on the stem, but that's why Baskin-Robbins sells more than vanilla. Enjoy that great looking chunk of olive wood.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Beautiful pipe, Anthony. The grain looks almost like marble-- fantastic! I've never smoked an olive wood pipe so a report back contrasting olive wood and briar when you have some smokes on it would be interesting.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Beautiful pipe! I really love the smell of olive wood. I am not trying to tell you how to smoke your pipe, but latakias go great with them. I also suggest doing some research on how to break in an olive wood pipe. I have made and smoked a few. One of them (which was recently abandoned) started showing micro cracks on the bowl, and the other one is still going strong. Since I made made them myself, I didn't really treat them "properl,y" often times neglecting them in all ways. The only reason I am brining this up is because it would be a shame to see such a beautiful end up like mine did.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice pipe. I just can't get past the duck on the stem,
:rofl: That's one of the things I like about L'Anatra pipes. The silver duck accent/hood ornament/whatever you want to call it is something a little different than just a flat logo or dot, other makers put on their stems. It adds a bit of character. You can find some of their pipes with a flat duck logo on the stems though. Still this is my first one to own, so I hope I like the duck in person haha.
I wasn't expecting so many replies on this when I got home. Thanks everyone :) I'll definitely let ya'll know how it smokes, and if I notice any difference compared to briar.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Beautiful pipe Anthony! I love the shape and the grain on it. As for the duck hood ornament, as long as it doesn't look like Donald Duck, Daffy Duck, or even worse, Dirty Duck (National Lampoon), you should be ok. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Love that one Anthony. Have never tried an olive wood, but have heard too things. :clap:

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
That's a very beautiful pipe Anthony. I never paid attention to Olive Wood pipes before, but that just changed! I've ordered from Al Pascia on a Sunday and had the pipe here in Denver on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.