PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm really interested in trying some Lakeland tobacco but not sure where to start. Currently I have a tin of Ennerdale and a pouch of Condor and St. Bruno RR. Would any of these be good starter tobaccos or should I consider others? I can get most SG and GH tins from my local B&M and their bulk blends via mail order.
Secondly, I've read on the posts that one should dedicate a pipe to Lakeland tobacco. I'm going to use a cob to start off, but if I dedicate a briar later will it have to name it my "Ennerdale pipe" or can one dedicate a pipe to all Lakeland blends?

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
After posting I did some different searches and found that my first question has been asked and answered:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/good-lakeland-starters
That GH Rum Flake sounds tasty.
Sorry for the redundancy! Still would like to know about Lakeland pipe dedication...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had a about a third of a bowl of Ennerdale flake and it almost ruined the Savinelli pipe I had it in not to mention what it did to my palate. If you like the taste of Dawn dish soap then by all means try some Lakeland blends in a corn cob. I wouldn't let it near briar until you've had a few bowls and decide that you like it. It will ghost the living hell out of a briar. That Savinelli is just now losing the ghosting after three salt treatments and a barrage of Perique heavy VaPers.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’ve only tried a Lakeland tobacco once out of sheer curiosity and that was Ennerdale flake. Thankfully I had the good sense and foresight to try it in an older cob that I had. As one reviewer on Tobacco Reviews stated: If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to smoke a urinal cake this is your chance. Needles to say, I tossed the cob in the garbage along with the Ennerdale. But, by all means give the Lakeland blend a try as you just might be one of those who love the taste and ‘aroma’(?).

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Another example of a "Lakeland" is Dan Tobacco's Liberty. It affected me the same way Phil describes so well. I still can't understand how a company that makes BillBBB and London Blend 250 and LB 1000, can be the same one that makes Liberty. 8O
Mephistopheles may still have the tin that got passed around. PM him.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I have two bowls for my Falcon (my Lakeland delivery device of choice). One is dedicated to Condor to keep that sublime flavor pure-- and the other gets all the G&H Lakelands put through it. I find that the floral soapy stuff is strong enough that I never seem to worry that my Coniston Cut Plug is tasting a little like my Kendal Flake, or like my Bosun Cut Plug. It's all good.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I also tried a Lakeland once. I didn't know it was a Lakeland, Peterson called it an English. It smelled like my grandmother's purse and tasted like the main ingredient was laundry soap. Want to make sure your kids never start smoking? Roll 'em a Lakeland cig.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I kind of like Lakeland blends from time to time. Yes Ennerdale is probably one of the strongest flavored blends, and I do smoke it along with others occasionally, with Glengarry Flake being my favorite so far. It's has some fruity flavor added to it, and is not quite as flowery.
Yes, I do think it's wise to dedicate a pipe or two if you plan on smoking Lakelands. I bought an estate Savinelli one time that looked beautiful, but when I got it, it had the strongest Lakeland ghost I've ever come across. I have no idea what was smoked in it but it was stronger smelling than the other dedicated briar I have! After a couple of salt and alcohol treatments, I managed to reduce the ghost by maybe 50%. Then I thought, what the hell, why am I fighting this? As another member here said to me, "don't think of it as having a Lakeland ghost, think of it as being Lakeland enhanced"! So I decided this will just have to be another Lakeland dedicated briar, and guess what, it was a smart decision, as I think it actually makes smoking Lakelands better.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Ennerdale flake should be double ball jarred or it's great grandma aroma will invade everything and will eventually cause you seek out doilies and plastic furniture covers for no reason and as an added bonus you will start to complain about everything.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Only Lakeland I have ever tried is Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. You hear all the typical complains about it, dish soap, perfume, etc. but all I have ever tasted while smoking it was lemongrass which I find, when I am in the mood for it, to be quite enjoyable.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ennerdale flake should be double ball jarred or it's great grandma aroma will invade everything and will eventually cause you seek out doilies and plastic furniture covers for no reason and as an added bonus you will start to complain about everything.
All too true! I didn't immediately toss out the Ennerdale but simply kept it in it's tin and placed it on the shelf along with my other unopened tins. It stunk up the entire living room and then permeated into the rest of house. So, with that I wrapped the tin in foil (as I thought I might possibly sell it) and the smell still emanated from the tin which is when I then made the decision to toss it in the garbage... OUTSIDE!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A number of people have tried Lakeland blends and don't like them. They taste soapy and floral, like smoking Grandma's soap dish. This doesn't sound like my thing. However, out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone who dislikes Lakelands and has ghosted a pipe has ever found a blend that is "improved" by smoking it in the ghosted pipe? It might give Five Brothers or Half and Half an unexpected tweak that might be better, if not terrific. Anyone encountered that?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Samuel Gawith: 1792 Flake, get 250g for $30 and if ya don't like it I will buy it from ya! Good Stuff in my book! :puffy: (NO Shit) ...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I tried it about two years ago. I've thrown the tobacco away, but have kept the tin. The tin still reeks of that nasty urinal cake old lady perfume smell. It's so bad still I took it to a friend's house who has never had Lakeland blends before and his response was, "Oh damn, that stinks like an old lady perfume. Why would any torture their pipe by putting this blend in it?".

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Lakelands comprise a wide range of flavors, but you should probably dedicate a pipe because they do ghost.
Ennerdale is the strongest, probably, and its cherry, rose and vanilla flavors combine to make a shampoo-like scent, but I love the stuff.
Kendal Flake is nearly as strong, but in addition to the flowery stuff, it also has musk in it, so it's a whole different ballgame of weird.
Glengarry is lightly scented with some kind of citrusy, slightly flowery stuff, but it's not overpowering.
Brown Flake Unscented is actually somewhat scented, similar to Glengarry.
Grasmere is a nice, mild VA flake with just a bit of rose and violet added, so it has a mild, "Turkish delight" aroma.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
GH Louisiana Flake is a nice light Va smoke and the Lakeland essence is pretty subdued. It mentions Perique but it's also very light.
GH Brown Bogie is one of my favorites in the twists/ropes and is also very light on the Lakeland.
In general, GH will normally be stronger scented than the SG.

Status
Not open for further replies.