PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Had this for the first time a week ago.
Buddy had 2/3 of a bottle left. Pulled it out after a dinner party and declared he was NOT going to put it back in the cabinet. Both of us visiting guys guys looked over at all our wives, both of whom smiled and reached out for the car keys.
The bottle did NOT go back into the cabinet.
All I can say is wow. Simply the best hooch I've ever had. Neat, with maybe a teaspoon of cold water (amazing the reaction that occurs -- great whisky becomes sublime whisky). And the best drink with a smoke ever ever ever.
I am now obsessed.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes, by far my favorite Scotch. First had it around '97 or '98 and you could get it for $35 a bottle back then. For a while, a bottle costs upwards of $100 or more, but I think you can find it for a good bit less nowadays.
Glad to hear your story -- truly a sublime whisky.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I have a bottle on hand that is going to be my contribution to our annual ISMSS (International Single Malt Scotch Society) meeting in Chicago in a couple weeks. Sorry, but I can't divulge the room number. :lol:

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
Its a classic single malt, soooo good. If the only alcohol I could have would be Lagavoulin and Laphroaig Quarter Cask I'd still be a happy man, but I'd miss a good bourbon.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
duckfat wrote:
I've had a bottle in the cabinet for at least the last 12 years. Not my favorite but I'm glad to have it on hand for company.
So is Friday evening good for you? Address?

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
The hardest decision of my life so far was trying this whisky and Talisker 10 year side-by-side and determining which I liked better. Great stuff.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@ffmurray, this one's for you. Not two days after you mentioned it, a Scotch drinking buddy of mine did, too.
I'll let you know what I think.
Laphroaig_zpsa790a24b.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Love the Lagavullin 16... my "go to" single malt for years. I love the Islay, and to a lesser degree Speyside, malts. There's something about the peaty, salty, ocean-breeze-ness quality of these malts that just satisfies.
This all being said, my last bottle was a Macallan 15 and it was DELICIOUS. It was like the hot, smart, and with-it bastard step child of an Islay and a Highlands malt. Deep, sweet, buttery, but still salty and dry. I want me some more.
-- Pat

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Oh well thanks for nothing, pruss.
That's ANOTHER bottle to buy.
Hmmm. We know TAD and PAD. Is there a SAD? I'm thinking yes.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Oh well thanks for nothing, pruss.
That's ANOTHER bottle to buy.
Ah tslex, it's my pleasure. Every acquisition disorder needs a human catalyst. Trust me, you'll thank me later. For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the Macallan 15 in a 50:50 mix with branch water.
-- Pat

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So my verdict on the Laphroaig quarter cask is that it is excellent, but I'd still place it third behind Lagavulin and Ardbeg.
Scotch guys, any other Islay's that I need to try?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I like Caol Ila and Bowmore, but they aren't as peaty and salty as Lagavulin and to a lesser degree Talisker.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.