PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
09.27 UK time. I'm all alone again and feeling mischievous. Spurred on by the "Pipe Babes" thread and last night's admission in the "Flaky meets Reborn" thread by Al that he was "not ashamed of his sexuality" lol, although he din't specify what that was! LOL
So my first plea is for any 'real' lady pipers in the forum to declare themselves. I know there used to be, but are they now an extinct species?? If any remain, I would be genuinely interested to hear what pipes and tobaccos they smoke. It was "de rigeur" for ladies to smoke in the 1920s and 1930s; they even had special, elegant pipes designed for them (mrlowercase I am sure can help me here).
Expecting no replies to this, there is s second tongue-in-cheek element to this thread. It concerns METROSEXUAL pipe smokers (google metrosexual!)
IMO, if you can answer "yes" to two or more of the following, you are one of them. Be brave lol 'fess up if you are! - There is no shame!! LOL
1. In full view do you carry your pipes in a lady's shoulder bag?

2. Do you smoke only ready-rubbed? (you are excluded if you are an upper-limb amputee)

3. Do you wax your body hair?

4. Do you pluck your eyebrows?

5. Do you listen to music by Justin By-blow

6. Do you wear jewellery? (with the possible exception of a wedding ring, or anything with a 'skull&cross bones')

7. Do you personally own/walk a small dog, eg a toy poodle?

8. Do you enjoy physical contact with another man? (excepting a brief, firm handshake)

9. Do you wear "Lakeland Essence" aftershave?
Please feel free to add more indicators of "Metrosexuality in Pipers"
PS wearing ladies' underwear as an aid to gratification does not count - that's a perfectly normal manly trait!LOL

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Many pipe smokers, regardless of their gender or orientation, have come to the pipe as an alternative to cigarettes.

This is a good thing, and I believe it is mainly responsible for the recent resurgence in the pipe's popularity.

I have a feeling that all the piping ladies who are active in, or have visited these forums, are reformed cigarette smokers.
For some reason, possibly social, they don't seem to keep a high profile in the forums. Maybe the pipe has weaned them

away from a dependence on nicotine, or maybe they have fallen off the wagon, so to speak. I dunno. Seldom do I read a

woman's post that reveals an epicurean interest in tobacco. It has happened, but it is rare.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I don't post much, but I will answer your query, I am a female pipe smoker and have been for quite a long time.

I have many different brands of pipes in my collection/rotation such as, Dr.Grabow, Kaywoodie, Brebbia, Savinelli, Peterson, Butz-Choquin, Medico, Brighams, Coventry, Chadwick, Bari, Lorenzo, CAO Meerschaum, Tsuge, Marxman, Malaga, Trident, Comoy, Hardcastle, GBD, Dunhill, Edwards, Middleton, Royal Falcon, Whitehall, Big Ben, Weber, Ehrlichs, NewMarket, Rossi, Tracy Mincer, P.Trypis, Sasieni, Chacom, Pipa Croci, F. Prieto, Clark Layton, Wally Frank, and some Corn Cobs, and many more.

I like cleaning up old Estate Pipes and rarely buy myself a new pipe.

I Like smoking MacBarens, Lanes, Peter Stokkebye, C&D, Frog Mortons, Esoterica, Sutliff, Petersons, Rattrays, Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarths, G.L.Pease, Prince Albert, Dunhill, and some others.

I smoke between 12 to 14 bowls a day.

I smoke inside, outside, and in the car.

I love smoking a pipe and I find it to be very relaxing, even with the odd tongue bite.

I post what I am smoking everyday, and I like to see what other members are smoking as it has given me

many good ideas of what tobacco to try out.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I don't post much, but I will answer your query, I am a female pipe smoker and have been for quite a long time.

I have many different brands of pipes in my collection/rotation such as, Dr.Grabow, Kaywoodie, Brebbia, Savinelli, Peterson, Butz-Choquin, Medico, Brighams, Coventry, Chadwick, Bari, Lorenzo, CAO Meerschaum, Tsuge, Marxman, Malaga, Trident, Comoy, Hardcastle, GBD, Dunhill, Edwards, Middleton, Royal Falcon, Whitehall, Big Ben, Weber, Ehrlichs, NewMarket, Rossi, Tracy Mincer, P.Trypis, Sasieni, Chacom, Pipa Croci, F. Prieto, Clark Layton, Wally Frank, and some Corn Cobs, and many more.

I like cleaning up old Estate Pipes and rarely buy myself a new pipe.

I Like smoking MacBarens, Lanes, Peter Stokkebye, C&D, Frog Mortons, Esoterica, Sutliff, Petersons, Rattrays, Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarths, G.L.Pease, Prince Albert, Dunhill, and some others.

I smoke between 12 to 14 bowls a day.

I smoke inside, outside, and in the car.

I love smoking a pipe and I find it to be very relaxing, even with the odd tongue bite.

I post what I am smoking everyday, and I like to see what other members are smoking as it has given me

many good ideas of what tobacco to try out.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@timely, I'm so glad you responded and gave so much detail. You certainly try a wide range of tobaccos! - it's good to see SG, G&H and Rattray's there (I live in Scotland). I will pay more attention to the "what I am smoking" thread in future!

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Sounds like a great idea.

Rattrays: Bagpipers Dream, is one amazing tobacco with an interesting flavor, hard to describe.

Also try Hal O' The Wynd,and Old Gowrie, they are Red Virginias

and 7 Reserve, a medium English Mixture.

Which are now made in Germany, go figure.

SG, and G&H both have excellent blends, all worth a try.

Have fun.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I'm a female pipe smoker. I smoke aros, have a few briars and quite a few cobs. Among my favorite blends are S&G Fire Dance Flake, and Mac B Vanilla Cream Flake.
I'm not a reformed cig smoker, rather I enjoy Cigarettes, Pipes and even the occasional Cigar. As you can see, I simply enjoy tobacco, and while cigarettes are what I smoke the most of because of the nicotine addiction, the pipe is my favorite way to enjoy it.
Happy Piping, flakey. :puffy:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My little "Ragnar" is still on the edge. She's had one experience with the pipe (not too successful, I'll admit), and then came down with a series of illnesses (not related to the pipe).
I can tell she's starting to feel better, her nose was in the air and a smile on her face when I lit up C&D Autumn Evening last night.
I've bought her a MM Cob with a Forever stem, and a slight bent Falcon. It waits to be seen if she's serious, but she loves the accessories.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@roadqueen, if it is not an impolite question can I ask if you inhale the smoke from your pipe tobacco?

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
One might consider a metrosexual spending too much time infront of the mirror stylizing his hair with gell. Obviously it is acceptable if it is beard trimming.etc. but normal hair, i'm afraid not. :puffpipe:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@pipeherman, yes I agree that gelling the beard would not rate as 'metrosexual' behaviour - equivalent to bowl polishing IMO lol
PS so far we have infinitely more lady pipers than confessed metrosexual pipers; I find that hard to believe, given that only two criteria were required to have been met!! LOL

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Flakey, I do not inhale pipe nor cigar tobacco. The only tobacco I inhale - shallowly - is cigarette. I do occasionally, accidentally, inhale a small amount of pipe tobacco. The ensuing coughing fit resulting in near tears is a staunch reminder to make sure my mouth is free of pipe smoke BEFORE taking a breath.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but as a general rule, I purchase quality tobacco and roll my own cigarettes - I try to avoid buying the crap that they sell in the boxes ready to go.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@roadqueen, it's kind of you to answer so candidly. The reason I asked is that my late father was a seaman and smoked the pipe for many years. Then, because cigarettes were so convenient and cheap at sea, he started on them. He got up to >40 per day, then realised his mistake and went back on the pipe. BUT he could not stop inhaling!
As I remember, he smoked Ogden's Walnut Flake, St Bruno's Flake, Bulwark and Irish Slices. All flakes - Flaky, like me!!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hrm. I'm beginning to wax my mustache in order to transition from pushbroom to handlebar, but I don't think that's quite what Flaky was asking. I do trim my eyebrows from time to time, as I get wild dark red hairs that stick out at a 90 degree angle from the blonde ones - if I grab the scissors, I cut them and if the tweezers are closer at hand, I pluck them. I am comfortable hugging my close male friends as well as my close female friends.
I suspect you'd never guess I was that much of a "metrosexual" just by looking at me, however - though I've gotten a few comments that indicate a certain suspicion on the part of other, less secure males when I wear a kilt in public. :D

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@phred, sorry for delay but it was very late here when you posted! But, no Sir. If you pardon the expression, you are a square peg trying to fit a round hole lol in order to encourage some of your reluctant compatriots to admit to metrosexual tendencies !! LOL
Trimming of the eyebrows with a pair of sheep shears, once they have reached Old English Sheepdog proportions, is not a sign of metrosexuality, indeed it is essential lest you set yourself on fire by a late-night misdirected light!! LOL
Hugging is sort of OK, if you are a soccer player, but in the US most of them are girls! So, for "hugging" you score one point - not enough to make the cut. A valiant try Sir!!

Status
Not open for further replies.