PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2018
Evening All
Recently I have been suffering from tasteless unsatisfying smokes. Tried my go to tobaccos and pipes and they are just meh. A bit disheartening. I love Blatter and Blatter Navigator in my Jeantet Jumbo. It just smokes bland now. Even 965 seems flavourless. Am i broken?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Don’t over analyze it, not every smoke will be a religious experience. Keep your pipes clean and keep a good cadence.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
No tastes change with time and season. One of the reasons I have 10-12 blends in my rotation just to keep my taste buds interested.
Current Rotation:

5100 Red Cake

PS Proper English

John Cotton Smyrna

PS Cube Cut

PS LNF

Triple Play

Haddo's Delight

Crooner

Angler's Dream

1-Q

Autumn Evening

Chatham Manor
Just lets me open my tobacco cabinet and grab what catches my fancy.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Take a break and do a reset
This works for practically everything we do in life

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree, a few days off might do a restart. Sometimes mixing some condiment tobaccos with each other or your blends helps refocus taste. A change is as good as a rest, as the Dutch say. Change time of day, maybe include a beverage, or a different beverage. Go a little stronger or milder on the blends. See what works.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
The right beverage along with the pipe sometimes makes a big difference to me. Usually something sweet, cold and bubbly but sometimes it's just water or coffee. Escudo with iced coffee and sweetened flavored creamer is one of my favorites.
Edit: I see mso mentioned the beverage thing while I was typing. He's smart you know... :puffy:

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I'm curious to know how long you've been smoking, and if other experienced pipers go through this. I've been smoking pipes for about 5 weeks now, and up until recently, pretty much everything just tasted like, well, smoke! I wasn't getting all these flavors others write about. But just this past week I've started to pick up on subtle differences.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
A lot of people suggest to not drink alcohol while smoking , probably sound advice
.. but in between pipes and good palate cleanser maybe
Hey , it can’t hurt

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Water is the general go to for a palate cleanser between pipes, but I generally go with coffee.
You could just be trying to hard to get flavors from your pipes. Honestly some of the best smokes I've had is when I've paid no attention to the pipe or my cadence. Sounds counter-initiative but there you go.
Best advice when I was starting out was to slow down and relax. Good things come to those who wait.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Breath smoking. The answer is always breath smoking. Right? Oh, and lots and lots of snorking.

Jun 2, 2018
Returned to pipe smoking about a year ago. Been enjoying 965 and early morning pipe. Found B&B Navigator and its goood. May take a small break and jump back into it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You may be suffering from Latakia burn out. I can't smoke it in any great volume anymore after exclusively enjoying lat forward blends for nearly twenty years. I'm now a primarily Virginia/Oriental smoker now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Clean your pipes out with hot water, scrub the bowl out with a twisted up paper towel. Take a sharp turn out of your tobacco comfort zone and try something very different. A clean slate and a new box of chalk may be just the ticket.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Brilliant idea! I would have written same, but feared I've beaten the drum over this method too often.... Bob- That dude knows a thing or two. Good luck and happy smoking!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Doesn't sound like the pipe needs a cleaning. No sour taste, just no taste at all. Sounds like he's ready to expand his palate.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would beg to differ. Pipes can get an aroma that I call The Wall Of Bland. A smothering blanket of stale smoke. Non-offensive and unobtrusive, it serves as a palate-coating equivalent of static on an AM radio. Clean it out and the full orchestra of flavor returns.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hmmm. Haven't run into that one yet, thanks for the heads up. From the OP's description though, I would guess need for variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.