PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I saw these yesterday at Seattle's Kirsten store. I'm mostly a Kirsten and meer smoker, but I don't own a freehand. These are marked simply "La Scala" in italics on the side of the shank, with "Made in Italy" in tiny block letters on the bottom of the shank. Nice flamey grain, spiky plateau top, with a sort of hollow into which the stem fits (there's a conical opening before the actual tenon hole) and a nifty hole, something I've seen in other freehands and in some abstract Bekler meers I have and love. Can't see any sign of fills or pits, surface is smooth. The plateau carries down the thin bridge over the hole and ends around the stem, with a smooth spot at the point under the stem, showing some soft birdseye. The plateau area forms a figure-eight when viewed from above
Bowl is also conical inside, grain is easy-to-see in there. It's lightweight, and the stem and airway are nicely open. Stem is unmarked, smooth, I think ebonite, and I can rest the smooth bit of the briar on my chin and clench without really clenching. Quite comfortable.
I was expecting $250+, but these were $110. They had five of them, and they were the only ones anything like them in there. They had five of them, one lighter than this and a few darker, one of the latter with a cream-colored stem. The employee didn't know anything about them, but I'll go speak with the owner on Thursday and see if she does. In the meantime, has anyone any idea who made these? No searches on Google or eBay turned up anything like them, though I saw some "La Scala" pipes (in very ordinary shapes) with no info on the manufacturer.
Whatever the story, even if these are the equivalent of no-names-- and even though they seem to be somehow series-produced-- I really love this pipe!
Edit: Forgot the images.

jTRDmzu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.