Pipes Magazine » Pipes Accessories

Tags:   

Kwak beer glass stand as calabash pipe stand?

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by nemrod
  • Latest reply from schmitzbitz
  1. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

I recently bought a calabash, but discovered it was quite inconvenient without a special stand. I quickly threw one together from scraps in the workshop (I have yet to test it since I haven't been home since though). A friend saw it and commented that it reminded him of a kwak glass stand and after having googled it I can't but agree, the semblance is striking. The only thing is the diameter of the hole might be a bit small, but not having seen one IRL and with no measurements I can't tell for sure. Does anyone here have one of these stands and can provide measurements or a guess as to how it might work as a calabash pipe stand?

Here are some pictures:

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

It doesn't look like it would work to me. Unless you were just hanging the pipe in it

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. nemrod

nemrod

Login to Send PM

Not sure exactly what you mean by hanging it, but that's pretty much what I intended.

Here are some calabash pipe stands made for it:

See the similarity? Since I have no measurements of the beer glass holder I can't tell if the hole is large enough though. As I said I just fear it's too small to hold a calabash pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I think the neck support on that Kwak stand is not going to be nearly big enough. I haven't seen a Kwak glass for a while now, but I know that the neck of that glass isn't as big as the end of an average calabash pipe.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

Not sure exactly what you mean by hanging it,

I meant hanging it from just under the bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats what my calabash stand looks like, I would go for it, if its too smal just dremel it out a bit, problem solved.

@Uber, you do just hang the pipe from it lol, just like those pictures

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A "Pauwel Kwak" beer-glass (or, more correctly a coachman's pint, and more incorrectly a "mini-yard" to many frats) is traditionally 3 inches diameter at the top and at the widest part of the bulb. From looking at the curvature, it seems that it tapers to 1/3 of the diameter at the top and bottom - ergo, 1 inch (or so).

These glasses were designed to allow a coachman the opportunity to partake in a pint while working...the wooden handle allows ease of transport by sweaty, working hands over the traditional ceramic or glass stein, while the shape of the glass help to keep the contents inside (and carbonated) on rough terrain.
    If you're travelling through Belgium; I would definitely reccomend sampling some of the Pauwel Kwak ale - but be forewarned; if you want the "Kwak glass", the bartender will often demand a shoe as collateral, and at 8% it sneaks up!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dwt63, crimsonrat, beefeater33, smorgdonkey, zekest, jmatt, n240sxguy, cmdrmcbragg, cosmicfolklore, ocpsdan, wilson, fmgee, snagstangl, leacha, warren, briarfriar