Kwak beer glass stand as calabash pipe stand?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I recently bought a calabash, but discovered it was quite inconvenient without a special stand. I quickly threw one together from scraps in the workshop (I have yet to test it since I haven't been home since though). A friend saw it and commented that it reminded him of a kwak glass stand and after having googled it I can't but agree, the semblance is striking. The only thing is the diameter of the hole might be a bit small, but not having seen one IRL and with no measurements I can't tell for sure. Does anyone here have one of these stands and can provide measurements or a guess as to how it might work as a calabash pipe stand?
Here are some pictures:

kwak-glass-stand.jpg

kwak-glass.gif

BG067_Kwak_Glass.jpg

kwak.jpg

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Not sure exactly what you mean by hanging it, but that's pretty much what I intended.
Here are some calabash pipe stands made for it:

2134_1.jpg

PSCalab.gif

2_6c4a2edf85af25e1a83f3e44e7807a07.jpg

See the similarity? Since I have no measurements of the beer glass holder I can't tell if the hole is large enough though. As I said I just fear it's too small to hold a calabash pipe.

Reactions: Scottmi

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, I think the neck support on that Kwak stand is not going to be nearly big enough. I haven't seen a Kwak glass for a while now, but I know that the neck of that glass isn't as big as the end of an average calabash pipe.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Thats what my calabash stand looks like, I would go for it, if its too smal just dremel it out a bit, problem solved.
@Uber, you do just hang the pipe from it lol, just like those pictures

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
A "Pauwel Kwak" beer-glass (or, more correctly a coachman's pint, and more incorrectly a "mini-yard" to many frats) is traditionally 3 inches diameter at the top and at the widest part of the bulb. From looking at the curvature, it seems that it tapers to 1/3 of the diameter at the top and bottom - ergo, 1 inch (or so).
These glasses were designed to allow a coachman the opportunity to partake in a pint while working...the wooden handle allows ease of transport by sweaty, working hands over the traditional ceramic or glass stein, while the shape of the glass help to keep the contents inside (and carbonated) on rough terrain.

If you're travelling through Belgium; I would definitely reccomend sampling some of the Pauwel Kwak ale - but be forewarned; if you want the "Kwak glass", the bartender will often demand a shoe as collateral, and at 8% it sneaks up!

Status
Not open for further replies.