Kramer's Pipe Tobacco-new product or old?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I just saw that SPC is putting out the house blends of Kramer's in Beverly Hills. Since these blends have been sold at the Kramer shop since Sable was a pup, can these blends now marketed in tins be considered exempt from the FDAs incursions? If so might this be a harbinger of things to come from other tobacconist/blenders/

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since these blends have been sold at the Kramer shop since Sable was a pup, can these blends now marketed in tins be considered exempt from the FDAs incursions?
No. Under the tortuous ideological lunacy that makes up the FDA's deeming policies, a change in packaging makes this an entirely new product, subject to the ruinously expensive approval process. Figure that this is a temporary expedient, good until August of next year.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Is it just me, or does it annoy anyone else when SP.com does all these fluffy descriptions, but they don't tell you what's in the damn blend. Just tell me if it has Burley, VA, Latakia, etc. I appreciate that 15 different celebrities liked it... but that don't mean I will.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I just saw that SPC is putting out the house blends of Kramer's in Beverly Hills. Since these blends have been sold at the Kramer shop since Sable was a pup, can these blends now marketed in tins be considered exempt from the FDAs incursions? If so might this be a harbinger of things to come from other tobacconist/blenders/
These are grandfathered and identical to what is sold at Kramer's.
The lawsuit over packaging changes that was decided largely in the industry's favor means that we had the latitude to work with Marsha Kramer to rework the packaging.
Is it just me, or does it annoy anyone else when SP.com does all these fluffy descriptions, but they don't tell you what's in the damn blend. Just tell me if it has Burley, VA, Latakia, etc. I appreciate that 15 different celebrities liked it... but that don't mean I will.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/kramers/Blend-for-Cary-Grant-50g/product_id/225354
Note the components listing to the right of the photo (on all 2,000+ tobacco facings we carry).
Sykes

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Note the components listing to the right of the photo (on all 2,000+ tobacco facings we carry).
Well paint me stupid, Sykes. Thanks. I never actually noticed that. :roll:

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
These blends were a good pickup by SPC. I visited the shop over Christmas and bought some of them. Even though I don't much care for latakia I think they are fine blends. Cary Grant blend is popular at my house! :mrgreen:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Well I'm Pretty excited by this. I've read about Kramer's blends and I can't wait to try some.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
I will be ordering some of these myself. Anybody got some good recommendations on which ones to try?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have reviewed them all at TR if you care to check them out. I thought Father Dempsey was the best one.

64alex

May 10, 2016
I live close to the shop and it is a very nice old style tobacconist. If you like English blends Father Demspsey is one of the best. If you come to Beverly Hills you should definitely visit the shop.

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Do you Sykes or anyone know if the Pipeworks & Wilke blends will be tinned too.

As Carole is retiring, its good opportunity to keep them alive.

Could they be grandfathered too?
Thanks
-TimPiper

Jan 8, 2013
Is it just me, or does it annoy anyone else when SP.com does all these fluffy descriptions,
I actually like the fluffy descriptions lol. It's marketing. If fluffy descriptions help sell something (which they do) you can bet a company is going to do that. And with every type of blend having such similar components, it helps us make up our mind between one english blend (or whatever) and the next.
I've read about these blends before too. And I think I saw a video on this tobaccanist somewhere? I plan on giving them a try. :D

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Sykes, thanks for affirming that these blends are indeed grandfathered in.
Kramer's has been on my radar for awhile and am glad they'll be available.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The last update that Carole sent out seems to indicate that there isn't anything cooking regarding the continuance of her blends. Could be hush hush, could be the end. I visited Kramers when my wife and were on the left coast. Bet it was the early 1990s. Bought my first (and last) rope out there. It really is quite the place, especially considering that California was the pioneer in the anti tobacco movement.
Mike S.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Is it just me, or does it annoy anyone else when SP.com does all these fluffy descriptions, but they don't tell you what's in the damn blend. -scrapsoftobacco
I think it's just you. Smokingpipes gives the descriptive of their blends quite fully, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.