PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
This is really sad yet another iconic place is shutting down:
To our Friends and Loyal Customers:

With saddened hearts, we want to let you know that, after 68 years in the same Beverly Hills location, our family owned business, Kramer's Pipe & Tobacco Shop, will be closing its doors December 31.

It is bitter-sweet for Jim and me, but times change and we are looking forward.

We are forever grateful to the Glassell and the Tronstein families, our landlords for 65 years, their care and friendship meant the world to my parents and to us.

They were an important part of building and preserving the village of Beverly Hills, which was referred to in a recent Beverly Hills Courier editorial, ending with "Despite all the rhetoric, about Beverly Hills being a 'village', there is very little 'village' left."

Our decision was made, and made easier for us to accept, due to many factors:

1) CA state Tobacco Taxes (now 67% - which lumps together pipe tobacco & cigars with cigarettes. What other legal product do we tax so high?) causing people to buy out of state - over the internet. (It appears that marijuana will be taxed at a lower rate in CA come January!)

2) new pending FDA regulations which would make it nearly impossible for small shops to blend pipe tobacco,

3) both city and state restrictions/legislations – that, in our opinion, unfortunately have gone way overboard in their rulings regarding, again, a legal product,

4) the city deeming it necessary for construction purposes, and seemingly their only choice, to remove our on-street metered parking since the beginning of this year - turning Little Santa Monica into a virtual freeway - to the total dismay of small businesses lining our street,

and mostly 5) the end of our lease.

One saving grace is my father's 7 private house pipe tobacco blends (from the early 1950's) now having a new life (with our exact formulas and same blending tobaccos) on-line at smokingpipes.com under Kramer's Pipe and Tobacco. Sykes Wilford, Rick Newcombe, and Brian Levine - you gave my father's legacy a chance to live on.

Good-byes are too hard. I know we will see many of you. And we are keeping our website (kramerstobaccoshop.com), email (kramerstobaccoshop@prodigy.net), and our Facebook page (Kramers Pipe & Tobacco Shop) going.

Thank you from the depths of our hearts - and my parents' hearts - for your support and loyalty.

With a flood of warm memories of our neighbors, salespeople, customers, and friends throughout the years ~

Big Thanks,

Marsha Kramer Keller and Jim Keller

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I was there only once, when passing through town on business in 2014. I bought a couple of tins of 965. It had character.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Pfft. Tinderbox in Tacoma, WA is doing ok with a 95% tax on tobacco.
Oregon has a 65% tax as well, if I recall. Those shops are doing ok.
But it is really sad to see such an iconic place go under. I, too, am SUPER glad they were able to rescue the tobaccos and sell them on SPC. I really like the Cary Grant and the Father Dempsey. Hoping to try more in the future.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I always wanted to visit that shop. From the pictures I've seen it looked like a great shop with a lot of history. I also heard that Lee Van Cleef bought his iconic Meerschaum pipe from there. Just think of all the other famous actors that probably frequented that shop back in the hey day of pipe smoking and bought pipes from there. It's sad when a B&M closes, but this is even sadder as it was such an iconic shop.

Jan 8, 2013
Man, this breaks my heart! I've never been there, but I've seen a couple videos of the place and an interview, and Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant has become one of my favorite blends. So it's heartbreaking that the shop that created one of my favorite blends is now closing after so many years... and with so much history! Some of the greatest actors and celebrities once frequented this place, some of whom had blends specially crafted for them, such as Cary Grant and Danny Kaye. It's a real shame when any B&M closes of course, but it seems like this one was very special. It is good to hear that the blends will live on. It's my understanding that quite a few celebrities had special blends there, not just those featured in the current line up of blends on sale at Smokingpipes. Maybe Smokingpipes will be able to put those other blends on the market as well. But even so, it's just not going to be the same knowing that those blends will no longer be available at the place they originated as it will be closed. Too sad. :(

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Had they stocked mary jane blend, they could have purchased the property in a few months. Californica.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's been a sad year for the LA pipe smoking scene. We lost the Original Tinderbox last spring, and now Kramer's. As they noted, the biggest factor was the end of their lease. With skyrocketing rents in LA, and occupying a prime location in one of the most expensive areas of the least affordable city in the US, they made a wise decision to keep the online business and close the B&M.
Had they stocked mary jane blend, they could have purchased the property in a few months. Californica.
Horseshit!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Wow, I should refrain from posting I guess.
EDITED TO ADD...
Excuse me, horseshit right back at you. Prove I am wrong. California is full of idiots, their rules and laws prove it. So, prove I am wrong. Run the numbers on selling a bunch of pounds of MJ as opposed to selling a bunch of Carter Hall.
I thought we were all allowed our opinions. Touchy out there today. 8O

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
In another thread there is a guy melting down because I dared confirm his action as bashing. He is crying and trying to remove himself from the forum, all the while taking shots at me. If I had just called out his action the way Jesse did, he may have ended himself...
:rofl:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
So, what I said was wrong? How do you know if that is what you mean. Business is business. The folks that run the place made the decision to let it die. That is their choice, of course. But I defy you to prove that it could have been saved.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I don't know that. It is in LA, right? Which is like being next to the Kremlin, as far as businesses go. You may be right. Most shops survive by building and maintaining a robust cigar clientele. I don't know one that sells weed, and only one that sells glass pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very sad to learn this, but not surprised. We have a few similar shops in the SF Bay Area, and I won't be surprised when I get the announcement of another closing. Very sad, but expecting it.
I have a prince I bought at Kramer's a year ago, and fond memories of a few visits there, chatting with Marsha. Glad I can get more New Blend online.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
The family had a nice run. It is too bad, as jpmcwjr says more to come. As long as internet retailing exists, physical locations can't survive forever. Rent is a big overhead in larger cities .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow, I should refrain from posting I guess.
EDITED TO ADD...
Excuse me, horseshit right back at you. Prove I am wrong. California is full of idiots, their rules and laws prove it. So, prove I am wrong. Run the numbers on selling a bunch of pounds of MJ as opposed to selling a bunch of Carter Hall.
I thought we were all allowed our opinions. Touchy out there today. [8O]
More horseshit. Crap on your own state. Crap on mine and I'll express my own opinion. What pays for Nevada, choir practice? Prove that you are correct and not just a blowhard.

Status
Not open for further replies.