PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I don't usually review tobaccos as I think these things tend to be highly subjective and my palate isn't that great. However I just recently tried Kramer's Father Dempsey and it's one of the finest blends I've ever smoked. It's a very smooth, subtle English/Scottish type blend. I've heard it compared to Dunhill's 965, but to me it is much smoother and cooler smoking than the current/recent production MM965. I've always found 965 to have a distinct nuttiness and an ever so slight sharpness that starts about midway through the bowl that I don't detect in Father Dempsey at all.
The balance of the blend is outstanding and it is definitely an all day type smoke. The orientals give a subtle but present incense like aroma and sour/saltiness. The Virginias are slightly sweet, but definitely in the background. The Latakia imparts a pleasant wood-smokiness without being overpowering. Personally, I have never smoked a tobacco that smokes as cool as Father Dempsey. Even when I really pushed it to see if I could detect any tongue bite, I couldn't.
I decided to post this because Father Dempsey isn't really a tobacco I hear talked about much by "English" lovers. Maybe because it's subtle and gentle. Mine was purchased from Low Country Pipe and Cigar in bulk, but it's available from smokingpipes.com in tins as well. I highly recommend it to those who want an "all day English" blend that is exceptionally well balanced, smooth, and cool...and are looking for something that isn't your typical Dunhill, Pease or hard to find Esoterica blend. Don't get me wrong, those 3 blenders make FANTASTIC stuff and I smoke them a lot. But in the world of "English" blends, they seem to be the go-tos that I hear discussed a lot and I love discovering blends that are maybe a little more overlooked.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
After reading this I had to investigate further - found this write up on Kramer's Pipe and Tobacco on smokingpipes.com
https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/kramers-father-dempsey-the-blend-that-started-tradition
very interesting, and seeing as how the good Father Dempsey was a Chaplain at Dunkirk I think I might have to try some of his personal blend

Dec 24, 2012
Very interesting. Sad that the store has closed. This is interesting, from earlier this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_MthUFFIRs

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I bought some Kramer Father Dempsey from actually the Kramer shop in Beverly Hills a couple of years when the store was still open. I agree with the positive comments give. Now the store is gone I never tried the version made by smokingpipes, it would be interesting to know if it is the same or if it changed.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I bought some Kramer Father Dempsey from actually the Kramer shop in Beverly Hills a couple of years when the store was still open. I agree with the positive comments give. Now the store is gone I never tried the version made by smokingpipes, it would be interesting to know if it is the same or if it changed.
Thankfully the recipes were given to whoever SP.com has blend it from Kramer's and they seemed pleased.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When the water subsides and things get sorted out in a month or so, I look hopefully toward recovery plans from smokingpipes.com. I suspect right now things look pretty bad, but when people get some sleep and a few proper meals, and begin to clean things up, some way forward may surface. For a surge, rain and flooding event, this is about as bad as it has been in North Carolina, and similar in South Carolina. People out of the area will naturally stop paying attention to this, but it will be a long effort.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
When the water subsides and things get sorted out in a month or so, I look hopefully toward recovery plans from smokingpipes.com. I suspect right now things look pretty bad, but when people get some sleep and a few proper meals, and begin to clean things up, some way forward may surface. For a surge, rain and flooding event, this is about as bad as it has been in North Carolina, and similar in South Carolina. People out of the area will naturally stop paying attention to this, but it will be a long effort.
We're fine. We'll be operating short of normal for a few days yet, but we're already back up and running, processing packages for pickup today (which both UPS and USPS have tentatively promised), and readying updates for later in the week.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good to hear.
As to Kramers', it was a sad day. My visits to the store were always pleasant, and I do love Father Dempsey's blend and New Mix. I bought a GBD estate prince there, and it wasn't refurbished to their standards, and Marsha offered—practically insisted— to make it right, but it wasn't a big deal to do it myself. Miss them and the store, but I thank Sykes and others for keeping the blends going.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I can add another testimonial. Marsha was a delight to deal with. My son lives near the old shop and I will miss dropping in.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Father Dempsey doesn't really remind me of 965 all that much, but is definitely a very fine blend.
Glad Smoking Pipes.com kept this one going, along with the other Kramer's blends.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I love Father Dempsey. I just bought another pound for the cellar when SP ran their 15% off sale. I came across the blend while searching for FMC replacements. It's nothing like FMC (or 965) but it is a good tasting blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.