PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Just a quickie...
The Koolsmoke pipes... are they made of a cast aluminum? I have one that I'm playing with, thought I'd get it anodized, but wanted to make sure it was aluminum and not steel, since it was originally chrome plated.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
throbinson:
Aluminum CAN be plated with chrome, but typically not directly. Most often an intermediate coating, e.g., copper, is applied first, and then the chrome is applied over it. A quick check with a magnet should answer the aluminum or steel question.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I've had no luck with getting replies back regarding plating, but did get a response regarding anodizing... though the company is getting the details constantly mixed up so, kinda iffy about them.
They said since it's chrome it's a steel pipe not aluminum... and I was very very certain you can chrome plate aluminum it's just harder to do (ie. copper applied first). Initially I wanted copper plated but gave up trying to find a company that would respond... and people wonder why businesses fail. :S
But, before I fire back a reply, I wanted to make sure it was casted aluminum and not steel first.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
There are those nylon ones that look the same, but this is definitely metal. 40% of the chrome has flaked off and they rest is kinda bad shape... I fixed the plastic mouthpiece, sanded etc and immediately when it touched the buffer, it totally distorted and deformed. Never had that before so, got a new vulcanite one coming that I'll make fit. Figured why not customize the entire thing... strip it down, make it black. Then, steam out the dents in the bowl, sand the top down a bit, remove the stain best I can and restain black/grey.
LINK to Images

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Well, given that after contacting 18 companies, I've only had the 1 respond back and they're kinda all over the place with details... there's a good chance I'm taking my satin black brake caliper paint and doing it that way.
Main concern is removing the old chrome, which I had another thread for. I wanted someone (professional) to do it but, given the value of the pipe and it being just a fun thing to do, I'm not wasting any more time on it. If the response I get back isn't what I'm after, this pipe's getting caliper paint. :D
I'll probably put on a good mask and glasses and dremel/brass cup off the old chrome, etch the metal and paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.