PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I stained this pipe with orange Kool Aid. http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/10668/kool-aid-grabow.jpg

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Wow that looks great, I never would have guessed. Let us know when you get crazy and try other colors, lol.

Any before pics?

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Both good points. And yes they come unsweetened, but you could also get them with sugar if you choose. If the outside crystallizes we'll know which one he used, lol.

Jun 4, 2014
Never would have guessed that it was stained with Kool Aid. It really did a nice job of highlighting the grain.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Is this a creative bunch? It would never have occurred to me. Looks great. Let us know how it holds up.

Jan 8, 2013
Wow! That looks great! I have an unfinished Sav that I'd like to try that with. Can you tell us the step by step process on that?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks fellas. It turned out much better than I thought. Here's how I did it. Sugar free packet. I used just enough water to dilute the powder. I had removed all of the original finish from the pipe before hand, so it was a natural briar finish I applied it to. Brushed on the mixture and let it set about twelve hours. It was pretty dark so I lightly dry sanded it to lighten it up some. Waxed and buffed it. I've smoked it once and it's holding up so far. It's one of my work pipes so I wasn't to worried about messing it up, but it looks pretty good. I'll try it again on another beater to see if I get the same results.

Jan 8, 2013
I might try this, but I imagine I'll try diluting with alcohol instead of water for a quicker dry. There are so many flavors of koolaid (of course being so many different colors) you could mix colors to come up with some pretty nice and unique stains I imagine. :) The pipe you did turned out beautiful. Well done.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
p8080740-600x450.jpg

Here's four Grabow's I refinished. Left to right the stains are red--then natural--then just carnuba--on 4th one I tried orange Kool-Aid mixed with denatured alcohol for just a couple minutes and it did'nt soak in at all, so then I stained over that with natural stain in alcohol. Then carnuba waxed and buffed them all. The 4th one was actually my first pipe. The rest are all from heebay, and I guess are all different ages because there are three slightly different sizes. The older ones are smaller by maybe 10 to 15 percent.
When you guys refer to me, just use tinner or tinman.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I've always felt that Dr. G,s greatest failing was the use of that hideous red-brown stain. Sure, it hides the fills, but it generally looks like hell. Plus the heavy varnish...

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Update on the kool aid pipe stain. Some of the fellas wanted to know how it holds up. 6 or 8 bowls later, it still looks good. Even the rim of the pipe is holding firm. I might try yellow next. I wouldn't recommend trying any of the dark colors. I imagine it would be like dipping briar into ink. And red would turn pink. As for orange, it's a solid yes. It works!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the tip Daniel. This is a breakthrough for the do-it-yourselfers. Now I know what to stain with without having to by an entire tin of something fancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.