Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
9pcirBd.jpg

55i2ieR.jpg

Specs: 6" long, .8oz in weight. Chamber Width - .75", Chamber Depth - 1.5"

So, at 6" long it's plenty of pipe for most people (me included) but the other specs are nothing shy of dainty. The tight nodules of rustication add a masculine feel though, and the ebonite stem is remarkable feeling.

At .8oz, it's an easy clencher..but one feels the need to handle this pipe with an air of fragile dignity.

Too, the rim is finished smooth to show off the birdseye that lies beneath the bumpy exoskeleton. I'm a suckered for birdseye, so I'm thinking I must be extra careful when lighting..I want to keep it looking nice for as long as possible.

Someone pass me a match.
I chose to pop the lid on a favorite tobacco; McClelland Blackwoods. Rubbed it out fully to fill the bowl. Pairing it this morning with a triple espresso from my favorite coffee häüs :P
Fvte1o5.jpg

9sSd0Fw.jpg

Here I am reviewing a pipe and I keep feeling the urge to talk about the tobacco. Fantastic stuff, but... anyway...
I'm a fan of Lovats and lumbermans and Canadians and just about any long-shanked pipe. Trouble is, the length doesn't always lend itself to light clenching. Sure, it's almost always doable with the right pressure, using the right teeth...but you'll eventually chew up your stem and out undue stress on your mouth parts.

But this pipe... .8oz! Point.8.ounces. that's 80% of one ounce. That's pretty darn light. It clenches effortlessly whether on the side or directly out the front. It takes so little bite to keep it stable I'm never worrying about marring the precious ebonite.
FQiggg2.jpg

Xv5iK2z.jpg

By now I'm halfway through the bowl..enjoying it thoroughly.

Scattered thunderstorms are approaching from the west and a cool breeze is blowing. Considering that I may not have a whole lot of time to enjoy the mild weather outside, I started puffing quicker than usual. And I kept puffing..and puffing.. but this dang bowl is being stubborn and refuses to get too hot to hold.

Even though there's no need to cradle the bowl or grasp the stem while smoking (.8oz remember), I can't help but stroke the pipe. I really like the feel of this rustication.
I'm so happy I was able to score this pipe unsmoked at an estate price. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have been able to pulled the trigger on it like I did. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for other KA pipes in the future, and I hope you do too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
She's a looker, I'll give her that! Congrats on a new score. For me, the hand-feel is important as well, since I'm all over the map on clenching or holding. Good rustication should feel as good as it looks.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a lovely pipe. I'm an inveterate clincher, so weight is always a factor for me -- I love that it's less than 1.0 oz. Congrats.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
very beautiful pipe, it looks awsome, it does look like a heavy pipe, but i am surprised that it is light. congrats on your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.