PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My wife just started making kombucha again. I have always liked the tea with its slight fizz and sweet vinegar-ish flavour, but I just realised tonight why else it is so familiar, it occured to me that it is basically liquid 5100! So for all of you out there looking for a ketchup-kick in lieu of mcclellands get your kombucha homebrew on.
Isaac

• Love
Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mortonbriar, interesting. For those of us not familiar with kombucha tea, where do you buy it, is it in bags or loose or both, and is it brewed in the usual simple way or does it require more steps? Is it a stimulant or herbal? What makes it fizz? Where is it grown? I always enjoy learning on Forums.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My adult hippie children love Kombucha. They drink it ALL THE TIME. They won't shut up about it.
I tried it. I don't drink kombucha. I still don't drink kombucha. Now I'll never drink kombucha again.
But, if you love it, do not let me stop you.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha, good stuff! I love Kombucha! I’ve been making it on and off again for over 20 years now. I just love the process of fermenting, which is probably why having a tobacco cellar just came so naturally to me. I also like fermenting my own sauerkraut, sour pickles and Kvass.

• Love

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
MSO, you can find it basically at any grocery store these days. You will find it bottled in the fridge/drink section. My local store and some cool gas stations even have it on tap. GT David is the most popular Kombucha that is sold nationally, probably internationally by now.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
MSO, kombucha is something that you ferment on the bench and then every ten days pour off. You feed the scoby each day it is kind of like having an ugly blobby pet. The fizz is just the natural fermentation, it has a slight amount of alcohol but almost none. Imagine a fermented black tea slightly sweetened and served like ice tea.
Ha ashdigger, yes the kind of people who drink kombucha are very likely to be hippies (I gave up denying the label years ago).
Isaac

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
And Hawky is right, you can buy commercial versions too, which enables you to avoid some of the hippy connotations but fermenting it yourself is quite fun.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my children and am extremely proud of them, but their love for kombucha is a personal disappointment. :rofl:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I'm glad to know about this drink. I might go for the bottled version to sample it. It could be iffy on my stomach, which is mostly sturdy but outspoken when it doesn't approve of my eating and drinking. It says (my stomach) I didn't bother you with seasickness on the warship, so don't you hand me anything I don't like otherwise, buster.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've tried kombucha once per my wife's doing. She heard about it from a friend and wanted to try it. I hate everything about it. I hate that my wife made me try it. It's one of those things I'll never forget what it tasted like. Hate it hate it hate it.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Hahahaha - if we're sounding off, yes I brew kombucha. In all honesty, I don't know what I've gotten more friends into, pipe smoking or booch brewing.
Some brands are more vinegary than others. Mortonbriar, it's funny you say that in the top post - I have also smelled very tangy and vinergary kombucha and thought of McClellands.

• Love

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I tried one or two kombucha drinks and it was hit or miss. There are numerous varieties, some quite different, so don't write off the drink based on one or two samples.
A few weeks ago, I snagged a bottle of Dr. Kombucha's Vanilla Oak flavored and it was awesome. Some of the more "kim-chi" like offerings I can pass up, though.
jay-roger.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I bought a bottle of this on a trip to the market, nice and cold right from the cooler on a hot summers day. I thought it was simply tea with “bubbles”, so I took a great big swig......mother of god that shit was awful! Never again for me, but to those of you who enjoy it, more power to you.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I quite like it but thats just me. I enjoy most things fermented or pickled; sauerkraut, kimchee(personal fav)ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.