PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
A few words of wisdom: Always tip your bartender; never lie to your lawyer; and get to know your butcher.
These addendums to the Golden Rule: Kindness, honesty, and friendship will take you far. If you spend your generosity and hospitality as freely as any other currency, life will pay you back in copious dividends. And, occasionally, there's a New Year's bonus added onto your daily contentment.
With the past twelve months being full of both laughter and tears ― beautiful summer afternoons and ugly winter evenings ― last night, my wife and I decided to celebrate the end to another year survived. We enjoyed a wonderful evening out, complete with dinner and champagne... and on our way home, decided to drop into our local tobacconist, for a few last minute 2015 accusitions.
A tin of burley, a bit of Virginia, and a small collection of flakes for these chilly winter nights. ...Ooh! A couple tins of Balkan Sobranie back in stock?! Yes, please! This is going to be a great year!
The search was accompanied by warm chitchat with team tobacco: Christmas exploits; New Year plans; and praise that the holiday season is finally coming to an end.
As usual, when the bill is being totaled, I'm lovingly requested to leave the vicinity ― because my wife believes that I take all the fun out of an adventure, once I have to attach a monetary value to it.
Before the magic-plastic can be swiped, 'W' (one of the more surly and hard to get to know employees) brought a shiny, golden tin from behind the counter.
"You or your husband wouldn't be interested in this, would you?" he asked, with what appeared to be a grin across his face.
My wife's eyes bulged, because even she knows the Legend of Penzance!
"We get a very small shipment every couple of years," he added, "and we set some back for the loyal regulars. We limit one purchase, because we try to be fair to everyone."
"That's amazing of you guys!" my giddy wife replied.
"Tin or bag?" W asked, with a twinkle in his eye, not unlike a skinny Santa Claus.
Now, I would like to thank the generous members here at Pipesmagazine.com. If it hadn't been for this forum, I wouldn't have been able to previously taste Penzance and Stonehaven, and learn that I do indeed enjoy both of these blends, before committing to 8 oz of each.
PenzanceStonehaven500px_zpsdhywep5f.jpg

Also, thank you to my local tobacconist; who, with only a shipment of 6 tins and 4 bags, still decided that I was worth sharing the opportunity with (at retail cost).
Remember, my friends: Always tip your bartender; never lie to your lawyer; and get to know your butcher. ... And a smile never ruined anyone's day.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My wife's eyes bulged, because even she knows the Legend of Penzance! "Tin or bag?" W asked, with a twinkle in his eye, not unlike a skinny Santa Claus.
:D
Well done Jeff! A Happy New Year!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The benefits of an agreeable personality! Kudos to your tobacconist.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm confused also... how'd you know I even had a butcher? That guys an ass anyways. You go into a butcher shop a few times to lecture staff and customers on how meat is murder and suddenly I'm the ass? Sup with that? Stonehaven and Penzance are awesome was my point.

Merry New Years!

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'm sorry; please, let me elaborate. All my beef is raised on Virginias, whole bean, and bourbon -- and die of natural causes (usually cirrhosis). The cattle coroner just so happens to also be my butcher, so less time from slab to stab. I'm sure you can tell my family is way into the organic process.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
All my beef is raised on Virginias, whole bean, and bourbon
LMAO ... try switching them to Aro's in the last 6-8 weeks for better marbling! :rofl:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I am my butcher. Blocks of tofu quiver in fear whenever I come strutting down the natural food aisle.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Blocks of tofu quiver in fear whenever I come strutting down the natural food aisle.
Properly cooked, tofu is delicious. Just have to be careful about that estrogenization ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.