PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there folks.
So over the years I've inherited a passel of carbon steel cooking knives from my grandmother (who's daddy was a butcher), and collected a handful of others from estate sales and antique shops. I love using these knives, they take a keener edge than stainless even if they need sharpening more frequently. Most of the knives I have are over 70 years old, some are older.
Now my lovely wife grew up in a house where everything went in the dishwasher and, bless her, the breaking of this habit has been difficult with a few casualties. I have about four knives which need to have new handles made due to being either fully immersed in water in the sink for hours, or from being washed in the dishwasher.
Do any of you fine folks have a shop to recommend that could help a brother out here?
Cheers,
-- Pat

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can't help you with the repairs, sorry. I will commiserate with you though. Nothing ruins a blade faster than ill-use and a dishwasher. I finally started washing my serious knives after use, never leaving out where my wife could do them harm. I have a sneaking suspicion that that was her intent all along.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Pat,
I take it they are wood handles that are beyond bringing back to life by treating them with oil? What is the rivet pattern of the handles and what would you want to put back on there? White oak? Antler?
I know what you mean about good old carbon steel knives. I have a pair that my grandpa made from an old saw blade and used for butchering on the farm. Since farmers always helped each other at butchering time his initials are stamped into the blades. I wouldn't take anything in the world for them and I truly mean that.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Pruss, try giving the folks at Country Knives in Intercourse PA a call. They are a first class knife shop. Among their services are sharpening and restoration. Website is countryknives.com.
I recently purchased a DH Russell knife where Country Knives had purchased the blades w/o handles years ago. They recently found them squirreled away in a closet and the son did the handles. Very nice. They also do a first rate job on sharpening. I've patronized them for years. They are top notch & very friendly. I'd be surprised if they couldn't help you.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.