PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
This is really only about tobacco, as that is my only hobby. I got mine, not the one pictured, which is not mine, at an auction in the 90's. It was on a table lot, so it's cost was nothing. I didn't even see it until Xuan pointed it out.
I thought it was for you know what. I looked it up and found out it's "a" way of smoking tobacco for only a few puffs.
For all the prep we go into before we fill a bowl and light it this seems no different.
You roll the tobacco in a little ball. Put it in the bowl. Light it up. No screens.
Where I was surprised was that I got over fifteen puffs with it. I did get to enjoy the tobacco, without wasting a bowl to try it.
To me, though I have not used it since, this would be perfect for getting your puff on while in public, without taking a half hour.
th

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
To me, though I have not used it since, this would be perfect for getting your puff on while in public, without taking a half hour.
Agreed my good friend.BUT...The image of it by the local police would probably invoke a conversation of explanation as to its use I would think. It may be percieved as something for another use (not that I would have any idea what that would be) :wink:

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I saw this in the other thread and I felt it needed discussion, though the Kiseru has been brought up before.
Weez, When I was pretty young and with a group of Bill Buckley followers we were pulled over for buying beer. One Six Pack for four kids. The police nicely folded up the bag the beer was in, never opening it. They did scrape our pipes to discover that we young politicos would never smoke such a thing. They let us go. Cops'll figure it out and if your friends can't... oh well

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Exactamundo, Anthony
edit- you can use the same one to try several, but I would kick two of them out of bed. One is sufficient, though

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The key to Kiseru is to get the traditional Koiki tobacco...and I don't know of a way to order it from Japan...any ideas?

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Zack, There was a site that popped up, but it used different terms once I got there. I think it's handy to have around for trial tobacco or maybe a tasting party. I just don't know enough to try to buy tobacco for it. But that's what this thread is for, so maybe someone will know.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I don't know of a way to order it from Japan...any ideas?

@Zack24 - Someone put a Kiseru in the box for the American boxpass. Someone also smoked it with the D&R Three Sails I supplied and had great success. I think the only requirement is the very, very fine shag cut. If I recall correctly, they said it was nearly indistinguishable from the Koiki tobacco. So, it may not be that big a deal. I'm sure we can find out what herbals they put into the Koiki, and duplicate the recipe with no trouble. I have read the traditional Japanese and Chinese tobaccos plants don't have as much nicotine as the western counterparts. Does anyone know more about this, or what herbs are added?
-Michael

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know nothing. I know these are used to smoke very finely cut tobacco (is that it?) but I also assumed they were designed after, or to double in smoking opium. Maybe not. Those pipes, in pictures, also have long shanks and very small bowls. By comparison, a Group 1 briar tobacco pipe is pretty big, and with flake/coin/plug/rope, you can get 30 minutes or more on a good day.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
MSO, those pipes are way different. I asked an Asian friend about the Kiseru thinking what you did and he said it was def not that kind of pipe. Those are about a foot long with a bulbous bowl.
I think the idea of a shag or ribbon cut is about right. Obviously would not work well for cube

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
According to TobaccoReviews.com, Koiki is merely a high quality Virginia in an extremely fine cut. As fine as human hair. It is much like D&R's Three Sails then, however, Three Sails is much coarser than human hair, but still very fine by our standards. This Japanese tobacco is very strong, so I was mistaken in regards to its strength. It contains no herbs or herbal toppings.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/11084/koiki-kizami
a3910fe23e5f4fd7cd8a.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I recently was gifted a kiseru and some of the tobacco. I enjoy using it. I am not really fond of the tobacco. I use regular pipe tobacco in it. It does get hot for obvious reasons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be inclined to recommend some of the great small pipes of regular design such as EWA at Iwan Ries or Al Pascia's beautiful chubbies, or many others. Peterson's Belgique are really nice too, as are the smaller MM and Old Dominion cobs.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Interesting. I do know they're not popular in Japan. But online tobacco shops do sell a variety of kiseru tobaccos, so somebody must be smoking them... probably nationalists and old grandpas at home. But cigarettes are still insanely popular, especially with older Japanese men. I'm guessing that kiseru pipes were meant mostly for quick nicotine hits, like cigs, and not so much for flavor.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
With other shaped pipes they do not lend to rolling the tobacco in a ball. I have to say it's one way to get the flavor that may not happen without the right prep on some tobaccos

Status
Not open for further replies.