PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gary, I haven't tried a Kiseru pipe, but they look really similar to opium pipes, and may be one in the same (though I haven't tried those either!). Anyway, even with the leaf cut in tiny slices, I think this would be a brief smoke. I think you might get a better result with a lot less effort, or special ordering the fine cut leaf, or shredding it yourself, by smoking a small bowl pipe, of which there are many good ones available. Or you could order one of these, and the recommended tobacco, and have at it, for sport. It's a different style of smoking, and looks like it would last about three minutes. If you do try it, you might give us a run down on how it works.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I'm pretty sure Tsuge makes one that I have wanted...I am a huge fan of samurai movies and you always see them smoking there little metal bowled pipes and tobacco cases. I like the idea of just a few drags of smoke and then done.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=151782
of course this one has a briar bowl but you get the inspiration.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
@mso489 yea i agree it wouldnt be a long smoke by any means, more of a fun nostalgic experience. I agree @mranglophile as i am a samurai fan as well. For me it would be a "collection piece" more than a practical piece. I have a Dr. Grabow Duke which is already a little small to my liking for short smokes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
You can find kiseru on eBay and similar places if you look. The brass bowls are easy to dump and refill.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
They have them in the pipe shops here but I have never tried one. The tobacco they make for it is I believe a mixture of burleys and maybe some VA. It's more for the nicotine hit than anything. I wouldn't put pipe tobacco in there as you won't get the swirl of flavors developing in that tiny bowl.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I reside in Japan as well. I friend of mine (Japanese) smokes one. I've tried it a few times. I personally would stick to just a small pipe. The smokes are extremely short and the bowl is metal so they get pretty hot. They can range in price from like $20 to much much more depending on material and craftsmanship just like pipes. I wasn't a huge fan of the tobacco either. It's quite harsh.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I have one I bought in Kyoto from a family that had been making them for 8 generations. Right around forty dollars. The problem is the kizami tobacco-you are essentially smoking a Chesterfield. Neat to display, but I wouldnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.