PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just a note to let you know that Kirsten Pipes is still in business Kirsten Pipe Home Page however their home page is currently a dead end as they try to deal with the Washington State laws. If you want to order something, Google for "Kirsten Pipes Seattle" and click one of the links such as "contact us" or "Retail Stores". After that you can navigate as usual. I talked with Stacy this morning and she hopes to have a new web page up soon. BTW, they have no new Kirsten pipes at all, just parts. It seems to me that they're not making them any more.
Disclaimer - I'm a satisfied customer, not an employee.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I thought they were no longer able to send their pipes. I hadn't heard they weren't making them at all anymore.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Brewshooter, I couldn't get them to admit on the phone that they're not making them, but when I visited in person last August both stores said there's an indefinitely holdup on machining and no idea when or if production would resume. They both also said they didn't have enough parts to build a pipe. :crying:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
First I had heard they were going out of business. I had trouble getting them on the phone, but when I did I was assured that they were not going out of business.
I was told though, that they were having some delay getting some parts (stems, I think) and they would not have any new pipes to sell until late January or possibly February.
Then chandlerjr reported IN THIS POST that they were having troubles with both the banks and the postal service because they sell "tobacco products". Washington is a very tobacco unfriendly state.
It's difficult to know exactly what's going on, but I hope they get their problems worked out and continue making and selling pipes. I have only heard good things about Kirten's pipes and I would like to get one.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Philip, I have a Kirsten somewhere in the basement - embarrassing to admit, but I've a box of maybe a dozen pipes that I put away 20 years ago due to asthma. I didn't think I'd ever be able to smoke again. Now I seem to be fine and have been back smoking for the last 4-5 years - this year I've gotten the bug again and have another dozen new pipes, plus a couple of heirlooms I kept out.....but I can't find the old box!!! I mention this to explain that I've a Kirsten somewhere in there -- but I just got one on eBay that is quite good -- needs new seals, and that sparked my call to Stacy who is sure she has some somewhere and will send them! :) I hope they DO keep building - I like the pipes!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have a Kirsten from 1940 it's still on the job and looks good. It's befor they used o-rings so I never need them. :puffy:

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I bought a Kirsten Pipe from them earlyer this year. It's my rough duty pipe they are almost impossible to break.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Hey, old thread here, but thought I'd update it with the latest information on Kirsten. I was in Seattle last week, National Homewbrew Conference, and wandered up to their downtown/Westlake store. I spoke to the genteleman there and he said they still wanted to keep offering the pipes, but they ran out of parts. Apparently they orderd so much last time that they didn't have the need to order anything for many years. When they went back to their suppliers, costs had skyrocketed and they are now trying to figure out what to do. He said they may be back, but may not be offering some of the smaller sizes anymore.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
^

Certainly you were the "man on the scene" but their website looks like they're ready to take orders? Is that not correct?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'm guessing they've just never bothered to update the site. According to the guy at the shop, they don't have any components right now to make pipes.

whimsyt

Might Stick Around
May 22, 2012
Greater Boston
I know this is an old thread, but just thought I would share that for anyone who has a Kirsten and needs it refurbished to like new condition, I know a fabulous refurbisher with reasonable prices in Washington state. If you want to see photos, check it out on my blog:
http://shesgotpipes.blogspot.com/2012/08/from-kirsten-fail-to-kirsten-wow.html
This refurbisher uses equipment and parts that are all Kirsten-approved, purchased from the factory when it was still in operation, I think???
Not related in any way, just a very very satisfied customer wanting to share the resources!

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have 1 Kirsten pipe and it's the best smoker I have....NEVER had issues with the tobacco juices comming back into my mouth...
I wish people will give them a chance and they may be suprised...

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Based upon my visit to them last week (their retail store), I have a bad feeling about them. The guy said they'd have pipes within 4 to 6 months but honestly, that doesn't seem right to me. I understand manufacturing and MRP so stating a product this uncomplicated will not be available for a full quarter seems..... strange. I guess eBay is the way to go if you really want one.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
In the interim years between these posts, the shop did stay open, selling tobacco, but no pipes. There was a lady who had tons of parts she'd bring to Seattle Pipe Club meetings from time to time and reassure us she was working on starting production again. Makes my heart glad she was successful. Kirstens are WA states fun contribution to piping.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Since this thread is back, here's the story:
The company made a megaton of metal parts, bought tons of stems, made tons of bowls, then stopped, having enough stock to last a very long time. They opened a new, second store off Denny. Then, some kerfuffle over the lease of the old, original shop came up, landlords pushed them out, that store closed. Then they ran out of metal parts, went to get more... and all their machinists had retired. Nobody in the family wanted to keep running it, except the woman mentioned above (Stacy), who took over the shop.
She did, after a LOT of time and effort, get them back into production. For those who haven't seen my post elsewhere on it--
She has all three straights available: Jewel (short), Mariner (medium), Lancer (long). Quarter-bents are Horizon (short), Regent (long). The Cavalier (medium) isn't available now, but she told me the Japanese market loves that one, so it may return. The only full-bent is the Designer (long). She has regular and pedestal valves. Metal parts are black (the straight and quarter-bent are glossy, full-bent are matte), silver (somewhere between gloss and matte), and brass (a VERY matte color vs. the older brasstone). Stems are bronze pearl, gloss black, and gloss black with wispy white threads. Designers are $190 briar, $250 Turkish meerschaum.
She has new briar and Turkish meer bowls, and loads of vintage briar and meer bowls, including briar staghorns, sandblasts, rusticated, etc. She has bowl screws, metal bowl cups, and O-rings available. She isn't selling online yet, and keeping the return of production low-key, because she is being slammed with orders and can barely keep up. But call her at the shop and I'm sure she'll hook you up. I think Tuesdays and Thursdays are the days to get her; other days, there's often another employee there, and they can probably advise a customer on cigars or sell you a pipe off the shelf, but they can't assemble a custom Kirsten for you or give prices on pipes/parts.
I bought a black Designer. I think the quality is exactly as it was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.