PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I've done a bit of a search, but is there anywhere that's especially good to purchase Kirsten pipe bowls and other parts? Preferably new.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
None that I know of. You can always search ebay. You could also put a want ad on Briar Bid. I posted a want thread on there for a Kirsten and a Falcon and got responses to both

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
How do your compare your Falcon and your Kirsten Uberam3rica? Which one do you like better and why?

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I'm sure I'll figure something out. Just won this on ebay,

$T2eC16Z,!)cE9s4Pudo(BRPLK!LpGg~~60_32.JPG

sorry to anyone here if I outbid you. Apparently it was in a museum for the last 30 years. Can't wait to have it in my hands and to give it a full restore.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
How do your compare your Falcon and your Kirsten Uberam3rica? Which one do you like better and why?

I'd say the Kirsten smokes better. It's cooler and drier. The Falcon has what is called a humidome, which is a small cup under the bowl to catch moisture. The Kirstens hollow stem is bigger, so it catches more moisture, and the fins on the out side dissipate more heat. If you look a Falcon, you will see that the part of the shank that the smoke goes through(not sure what to call it as it isn't a drilled hole like a briar), is spiraled. This gives it more surface area, and dissipates heat. they're both great smokers, but the Kirsten is better.
The tube in the center is where the smoke goes. You can see the spiraling I was talking about.

310352_275285982492737_100000340116388_1009784_636659229_n.jpg

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Zonomo, I have a Kirsten and a Viking (similar to falcon) and have looked at Falcons. They all have small standard bowls.
The Kirsten has a lot of parts and cleans up nicely. They are bulky and ugly but smoke very cool and dry. I like them for the clean up. Best for home sit down use.
The viking has removable bowls and stem. It cleans up with a pipe cleaner. Bowls no longer made by Doc G. I think some are made in EU. The Falcon bowls do not have the same thread. It is very sturdy and light which is good for packing in a pouch or outdoor use.
The Falcon is still made in England as well as the bowls. The stem is not removable. I think the smoking characteristics would be the same as the Viking. Which BTW is cool and dry.
New viking bowls do show up on Ebay.
I hope that helps.
:puffpipe:
edit: They all draft down the center if the bowl which I have found gives complete combustion leaving no dottle.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
They all draft down the center if the bowl which I have found gives complete combustion leaving no dottle.
That's why I decided to try a Kirsten out as my Peterson System 31 has the hole in the same position and have found that it makes for a very nice smoke.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Good info here everyone. I think I need more time with my Kirsten. As I said to Uberam3rica in a PM, the draw is hard and it doesnt seem to free flow air through it. The little radiator valve is aligned but it still draws hard. Its been restored to factory perfect so I am not exactly sure what's going on here.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I find my Kirstens will plug easily if the tobacco is too fine. I tend to fill the pipe a little more firmly than I do my briars, and they seem to like that. :) The extended rod on the mouthpiece is the right size to go through the screw hole if you need to clear the opening while smoking (or cleaning).
As far as comparing, my Falcons seem a lot less fussy to fill and use compared to my Kirstens, but I think the Kirstens are cooler and a tad drier.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Just received the pipe today, it turns out its a pre o-ring Kirsten. Does that make it first Generation? Its gonna need a good clean, but is in great condition. I'll post pics after I've given it a good rejuvination.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Upon further looking at it, it says " pats. appl. for" on it so sounds like its quite old.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
If there are no o rings at all, it's first generation:

http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=262
Personally, I like the way the Falcon smokes more than either the Kirsten or the Viking. All provide cool, dry smokes, but the Viking tends to gurgle after a while, and the Kirsten has a less free draw than the Falcon. Additionally, the Kirsten tends to 'overkill' with its mechanism, thereby enabling less tobacco taste to reach one's mouth. My experience with over 30 metal-framed pipes is that the Falcon and the Koolsmoke provide the most pleasurable all around smokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.