PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
Don't know if this is old or not, but called Kirsten and they don't have anything. No bowls, which is what i wanted nor any old pipes. Glad I just bought a nice unsmoked kirsten off of ebay. The Kirsten guy said try again in about 3 months. Does not look good. By the way, how do i Post pictures, thanks in advance.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
A few of us on the Forums complain about this situation a lot. Every three months, one of us tries to contact them and see if they are producing. Seems like they are on a constant 'taking care of older customer orders' runaround, and when we check back with them a few months later, it's the same old thing. Looks like they will never get their act together.
Shutterbug

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
With Kirsten, it's always "call in 3 months . . . " I really have no idea how they stay in business.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but I came across some new old stock Kirstens that I snatched up, when I called Kirsten pipe (a place I've been several times) I talked to them and they said they are making pipes again, they have new ones ready to go in three models, plus all the parts. They are at limited capacity, but they are manufacturing again.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Just had a flashback to the last rumored "Boston" album release announcement...in the 90's. :D

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
That is good news - will have to remember to stop by their store next time I'm in Seattle, and see if they've restocked yet...
Not holding my breath, mind you. :wink:

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Not really turn around Pete. They lost the machine shop that made the parts and when they wanted more the cost was way too high. It took them several years to get a new supplier. The site said place your order and we will get back to you. "If no pictures it did not happen"

nuts! right click that and load on new window.@#$%#@

metalman

Lurker
Mar 11, 2016
I own 14 Kirsten pipes. Bought them one at a time at Fisherman's Terminal store in Seattle from 1984 to 2005. I recently bought one from EBAY listed as a brand new pipe. It's a Regent (large quarter bent) with an extra-large Meerschaum bowl. The mouthpiece had some white doodles on it. Got the pipe, brand spanking new. On a whim I called Kirsten to see if I could buy a 5/16 inch hollow screw for a second bowl to rotate with the Meerschaum. Talked to Stacy (Kirsten's grand daughter). Turns out the pipe I bought was the first of their regenerated product line. They put it on EBAY to test the market. The doodles on the mouth piece are a new style they are trying out. You can still get the old style. I placed an order to reconstitute my existing pipes (new mouthpieces, O rings, bowls etc.). Don't have them yet but expect them next week. Prices are higher but not crazy high. Stacy will update the web site over time but for now you need to call them. Pipes are the same as depicted in the existing web site.
The jury is still out for me until I get the parts. If I get them that will be great. If not, it isn't the first time I've been fooled. I'll let you know.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Whatever...I'm in for a couple myself. I turned my nose up in refusal at getting my grandfather's four Kirstens. That was back when I knew more than I know now.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The website makes it look like business as usual. Says they have a B&M in Washington also. I suppose I may succumb to one eventually. I was reluctant to try a Falcon until recently but I actually like them. However if I were blindfolded and someone stuck a Falcon in my mouth and said "puff on this", I would still be able to tell the smoke was passing through something metallic. I can tell if there's a stinger in a pipe, or even if the male part has been removed and just the female part remains in the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.