PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I may be stricken with LAD...I'd like to get a decent butane pipe lighter that isn't the IM Corona Old Boy. My primary lighter is my Zippo, but I've found it difficult to light pipes with irregular shaped bowls (i.e., freehands, artisan models, etc) with my Zippo. So, the Kiribi seems like the obvious choice, but is it really $40 better than the 4th Generation pipe lighter? And is it $50 better than the Jifeng lighter that pops up on eBay now and then? Keep in mind: this will not be my primary lighter. I just want something that's an alternative to my Zippo and that isn't a Bic. But that also won't crap out on me in a month.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've had a 4th Generation for 4 months now and I am 100% pleased with it. I got it on sale for $30, being just like you, wanting something more than a Bic but less than a an expensive lighter I'd feel like guarding with my life haha. I'm sure there are extra positives to the higher cost models, but in my opinion, the only reason I'd upgrade from my 4th Generation would be for aesthetic reasons.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
lightmybriar, Exactly - I'd be too afraid to take a nice lighter anywhere. I can imagine that anything other than an Old Boy is of lesser quality, but then again I wouldn't compare any lighter of mine to the Old Boy simply because I don't own one. As soon as I think of spending $70-$100 on a lighter, I think, "Couldn't I spend that money on tobacco?" I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the 4th Generation. I might just get that one.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
didimauw, agreed. I love my Zippo. I want a butane pipe lighter mainly as a backup and for my freehands. But the Zippo is supreme.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
based on my experience in past Jifeg Old Boy style lighters are quite a descent lighters pricewise,I have had them two and both performed satisfactory, of course zippos with pipe insert are the most reliable ones

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I used to collect Zippos and used them when I was smoking cigarettes. I am just a huge fan of Zippos but IMHO Zippos are not for pipes. Even while smoking cigarettes, after lighting the Zippo I was waiting for a few seconds and then lighting the cigarette (because of the fuel odor). Among the pipe lighters mentioned above (except Zippo) I only own a Kiribi Kabuto Mizo which I use daily.
2017-02-13-011016-450x600.jpg

I smoke max. 2 pipes a day and relight a lot. Just checked and realized that I refilled it on May 5th, today is May 15th and after 10 days of refill it still works like a charm. What I love about it also is the dual flame thing. Check that two holes:
kiribi_005.jpg

It gives you the ability to light a larger area. It is a solid, well built, easy to use and esthetic lighter. By the way, our forum member pylorns (James Foster) has a nice review of Kiribi Kabuto that you can read here.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I also have a Kiribi that I purchased August last year. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
I've replaced the flint once and I find I get 2 or 3 weeks between refills.
Also take a look on pipedivan.com at the lighters. They are a good bit cheaper than here in the states.

I've never heard of Passator Leonard lighters but they are $46 and the Peterson lighters are $55.
passatore_leonard_lighter_chrome.jpg
peterson_silver_pipe_lighter.jpg

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I've been using a Kiribi Kabuto for nearly three years and it has never failed to work just fine. I bought a spare but haven't needed to even disturb the packaging.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Hm, decisions decisions. Just when I was about to pull the trigger on a 4th Gen lighter, I may have to rethink. The price tag on the Kiribi is still pretty steep. I know, I know: you get what you pay for. The moment I start thinking about dropping $70 or more on a lighter, my PAD and TAD go haywire. I hear, "More tobacco! That Al Pascia curvy you've been wanting!" ringing in my head.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Hm, decisions decisions. Just when I was about to pull the trigger on a 4th Gen lighter, I may have to rethink. The price tag on the Kiribi is still pretty steep. I know, I know: you get what you pay for. The moment I start thinking about dropping $70 or more on a lighter, my PAD and TAD go haywire. I hear, "More tobacco! That Al Pascia curvy you've been wanting!" ringing in my head.
Nobody can tell you what to buy or not, all I can say is "Don't overthink". Few years ago, I had some money to spend on lighters, I spent around $2000 on Zippos, then sold some of them, now I have few left. At the moment, I can't even afford to spend $50, even $40 for a lighter. There were times, and I know that there will be times, so no worries. At the end of the day $0.01 match does a better job than a $70 Kiribi for me.
If 4th Gen lighters are truly produced by Tsubota (as pylorns mentioned above), then I would go for it.
I know, I know: you get what you pay for.
Zippo manufactures lighters for $15 and for $100. They are both windproof with a lifetime warranty. Anyway, let us know when you decide what to buy and share your opinion with us.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
It looks like these Kiribis have similar mechanics with Peterson lighters(spark, dual flame and spring system all the same)perhaps they all come from the same manufacturer plant in Japan differing only by brand name

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another Yea for Kiribi. If I were to start over on that, I'd get one that didn't have the extra arm lifter (the burble on the end of the arm). I tried it a dozen times after I got it, and now find it is useless to me. Much easier to flip it open with the thumb I am about to strike the wheel with.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
The Kabuto curved arm flipper seems to work quite well for me. Different hand shapes or sizes might make the difference.

Jun 27, 2016
I've always thought that these all had plastic gas tanks, but I'm reading here...

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/from-sparks-of-good-will-to-the-warmth-of-a-perfect-light/
...that the case and tank are one in the same, so probably stamped sheet metal formed and soldered to make the body/tank, and not milled metal block.
I see Tsubota claiming "all copper internals", making me think that it has a separate copper internal tank and external metal jacket similar to the Corona Old Boys, and I guess the Petersons, although now I'm thinking that the Pete might be like the Kiribi.
Has anyone opened any of these up? I've seen Coronas torn down, but none of the others. :puffpipe:

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Well, I settled on the Kiribi Kabuto. I had a few sources tell me the flames on both the 4th Gen and the Jifeng were kinda small (i.e., smaller than a Bic flame). So I put my P&C $50 to good use and grabbed the Kiribi. Hopefully I can post up a review or something once I've had it for a while. I also ordered a can of Vector butane. Thank you all so much for the help and good advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.