PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Took a flier on a Kiribi Kabuto lighter and so far it's performing admirably. Build seems solid, filling is uneventful, flame is properly gentle and operation is without drama. The Kabuto is the version with the little artsy "wing" on the rear of the flip-up cap and although it doesn't impede operation it's not really that much of a help either. Price is nice--$76 for the long version in black matte from smokingpipes. Have only had it a few days but it seems built for the long haul. I hope it'll be a good alternative to much pricier Old Boys. We'll see.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I'm hoping it'll last long enough to get that adept at using it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats on your Kiribi - looks very nice.
And great video Ted - thanks for sharing that.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
That's something of a relief because it seems that much of the commentary here and elsewhere about pipe lighters is about how junky and unreliable most are.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
Full disclosure: I have been heavily using my Kiribi for some months now... and have pretty much been trying to push it to its breaking point. No such luck there.
I have owned several different Corona models (Old Boy, PIpemaster, etc.) and the Kiribi is less finicky and holds double the fuel (and mine is the "short" model, btw)
Enjoy that lighter, Darwin!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
For the longest time, I have wanted a Old Boy type of lighter. But I didn't want to spend the money for one, and I was very leery of knock-offs or unknown names. Reading this post, however, I might check it out.

oleblue

Lurker
Feb 18, 2015
I purchased one of the Kiribi Kabuto lighters about a month and a half ago. Great lighter, but to make a long story short, I've already managed to launch the flint spring off into parts unknown. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to find a replacement? I emailed Laudisi's sales department, with no response as of yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I currently own an $80.00 paper weight. Thanks!
oleblue

oleblue

Lurker
Feb 18, 2015
Thanks to Jonathan @ Laudisi! After receiving no response to my email addressed to the sales department, I followed up with a phone call to customer service. Within five minutes, Jonathan had my problem solved, with a new flint spring assembly on its way via the USPS -- at no charge! This gentleman knows how to deliver great customer service. Thanks again, Jonathan!

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Just an heads up - I love my Kabuto but have had issues with this screw backing out. Check it every now and then and save yourself from the floor SAR.
5Exub1g.jpg

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I've been quite impressed with mine.
bonehed - Thanks for the tip. I just checked mine and, sure enough, it had backed out just a little. No matter how well made, there's always an Achille's heel in design.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I went the el cheapo route and just ordered the 4th Generation rendition of the old boy for 40 bucks. I don't have high expectations due to the price. 40 bucks is not that much especially if you are like me and spend it on just one cigar for an hour and half of bliss.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I just received my Kiribi Kabuto in the mail yesterday, purchased some Nibo triple refined butane to fill it with -- and am having a slight issue with it...
It usually takes three strikes to light. Alternatively I can count to 5 Mississippi's and it will light on the first try. 6 Mississippi's and it will light with a bit of a 'whoosh'. It is sparking just fine.
Also, if I adjust the flame to something around two inches (I've got mine set at around 7/8ths or so) it will light on the first go. This is indoors, for reference.
It's almost like it is having trouble reaching a critical amount of fuel to ignite. Once lit it burns perfectly. No wavering at all - so it would appear the fuel delivery is adequate.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on a fix?

hedonaut

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2013
That sounds like something might be a little off, drezz. I just got started up here at Laudisi, but if you want to send it in so we can take a look at it, I'm sure we can send you a UPS call tag. Shoot me your mailing address and email in a PM if you want to go that route.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
That's great! Talk about standing behind your product. I must say that I'm going to miss it while it gets checked out though! As an object it is fantastic! It has a weight and finish to it that is just great to hold. I was greatly anticipating its arrival and will be waiting for its return!

Status
Not open for further replies.