PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I am a student of American Indian history. I live in the Ohio valley which was once the heart of Shawnee territory. I don't think that it is a stretch of the imagination to think that Tecumseh once walked down the creek bed which runs through my property.
Kinnikinnick was a smoking mixture used by these Native Americans. Does anyone know if a reproduction of this stuff is ever produced? Has anyone ever tried any? Does anyone know more about this?

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
You may find this functional for your needs. http://www.myworldhut.com/products/Kinnick-Kinnick-Traditional-Native-Herbal-Smoking-Blend-Bulk.html
Kinnikinnick , contains no tobacco, it is an herbal blend used in ceremonial pipe smoking, I might order two pouches, one for me, the other for a friend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I seem to recall seeing it for sale in the Dixie Gun Works paper catalog. This was years ago, so may not hold true, but could be worth a try.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Kinnikinnick , contains no tobacco, it is an herbal blend used in ceremonial pipe smoking
Though there is a lot of truth to this statement, it is not 100% accurate. Many First Nations people in the western prairies in Canada smoke a mixture of tobacco and willow bark for the pipe cerimonies. They also call it kinickinick, or how ever it is spelled.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Grandfather's Spirit sells herbal KK mixtures as well as hybrid mixtures like this one that combine herbs with tobacco: http://www.grandfathersspirit.com/Old-Cherokee-Tobacco-Mix.html
I'd love to try it but it's really pricey. I really like the theology behind it.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
From what I have been reading the traditional blends had no tobacco, until much later on. References to "tobacco" in Tribal writings are descriptive of what the Indian nations called "red willow". Red Willow was the tobacco of the time until Spanish and Europeans traded true tobacco with the Indians. But, the tobacco of old in Indian culture was white or red willow, mostly red.
I cannot say as I obviously did not walk among my tribe at that time. I can only report what I read, may or not be historically accurate. If my great grandmother were alive, she would know for sure.
I did however order 2 blends with tobacco in them to sample, the Cherokee blend and Eagles dance. I will report back when they arrive and have sampled them both :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I smoked some Kinnikinick many years ago with a couple of Navajo friends and it was all herbal ... no tobacco.
As I recall, it was a bit harsh and inhaling was not a good idea.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I got my order in the mail today. One ounce of Eagles Dance which contains Nicotiana rustica, deer tongue, red raspberry leaf and osha root. The 2nd blend is Old Cherokee Tobacco Mix which contains red willow bark, tobacco, sassafras, peppermint, sage and other herbs. The Cherokee mix is bone dry, it is suppose to be though as it is dried herbs, the Eagle Dance is dry as well but has a hint of moisture.
I am going to try a bowl of the Eagle Dance in a little bit in an MM Mark Twain. I will let you know how it was.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
Here are my initial impressions of the Kinnik-Kinnick that I bought from "myworldhut". It has the same 5 ingredients as the Kinnik-Kinnick offered at "grandfathersspirit".
As already pointed out by Carbon, it is a completely dry mixture of herbs. No moisture here. There is also absolutely no pouch note. No smell at all and no taste when placed on the tongue.
I made sure to adjust my expectations before I started since my main motivation was historical interest. I wanted to experience smoking what I had often read about in history. I made sure to have no expectations since I had never had any similar experiences.
I smoked 2 cobs back-to-back on Christmas Eve and then another one yesterday afternoon. The dry herbs burn quick so it is not a long smoke. The taste is savory. There is almost a salty taste on my lips while smoking. The taste/smell is vaguely reminiscent of the spices in food, like stuffing, or chicken soup or maybe a bay leaf.
There is a distinct "calming" effect while smoking this stuff. It is definitely noticeable and it happened each time I smoked. This calming is transient and only lasts while you are actually smoking. It is gone when the bowl is done.
My overall initial impression is that it was brief, different and not at all unpleasant. I will be trying it again since I have 2oz for which I paid a whopping $4.

Status
Not open for further replies.