Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:  No tags yet. 

King's Ransom Pipes???

(12 posts)
  1. draco

draco

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have any information on "King's Ransom" pipes? So far all I can find is a very loose possible connection to Comoy's. Thing is it lacks any markings to confirm this connection. No classic "C" inlay in stem, stem is marked "KR". The pipe in question is a sand blasted Oom Paul. Trying to determine quality over price as a quality smoker

Thanks
    Draco

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

"Who Made That Pipe" lists it as maker unknown, but made in England. Usually Comoys made pipes have their shape number and the COM is in the Comoys style.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

King Ransom pipes were made by John Redman Ltd............and to Mr SS Jones, Dulwich pipes were made by
    G. Huybrecht

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Interesting stuff Jensen (and welcome to the forum!) I had not heard of John Redman, there is a small section on them on pipepedia.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/John_Redman_Ltd./British_Empire_Pipe_Co.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

I found a letterfrom 11 august 1988 from Redman were they offered me 1. Supreme quality at £ 20 each
    2 Special at £ 15 3 a lower grade with flaws at £ 10 and 4 they told me that Kings Ransom series has now been
    deleted.
    I have a Redman shape card from the 60/70ties.On page 10 we have special shapes for King Ransom series (drawings)
    602 apple,601 bent prince,605 Acorn,604 Woodstock and 606 VAT (larger model603)

Jorgen

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. draco

draco

Login to Send PM

Jensen, thanks for the info. Any idea where the Kings Ransom pipes fall quality wise? The one in question is an Oom Paul.

Thanks
    Dave

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

No,
    I have a catalog were no less than 22 grades are mentioned but not the Kings Ransom - it is only in the
    shape card. But if it is in material sent out tobacconists the quality can not be to bad.

I know they also made a Kings Imperial.They were pipes with (big) fills. I have two bents (very big ones)
    good pipes to smoke and in the very cheap end but also low quality I think I must say.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@Jorgen - thanks so much for contributing. Without replies like yours and this type of thread, this info would be lost to time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

If you want to know a little more about John Redman go to Rebornpipes and write Kings Imperial.After the repair
    there is a small informative text.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The Pipes Magazine Radio podcast interviewed Stephen Willett this week. His most memorable pipe experience was having dinner in the UK with John Redman and Mr. Dunhill.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. draco

draco

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the great feedback and info. I will post some pictures soon of how it looks as bought and hopefully sometime in the future how it looks after I can work on it:-)

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some serious expertise here on Forums.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   morgansteele, mso489, lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer, jiminks, sablebrush52