PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with aging the Kingfisher tins from Butera? I've heard that that style of tin is the worst for long-term storage. Do you consider this to be true? I've just ordered 3 tins, am I better off storing them in mason jars?
Any comments or (partial) reviews of this tobacco would also be very helpful to me. I'd love to hear your perceptions of this blend - which I admittedly bought primarily because it's been hyped a little and has been very hard to come by lately...

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
No experiance with them but I've been iterested in getting a tin or two. Where did you find them, if you don't mind my asking?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As Va/Pers go I think Kingfisher is a real good one. Top quality tobaccos and the perique does what it does best. The flakes are easy to work. I have not cellared it. I usually just go at it and if it gets a bit dry I spritz a little distilled water in the tin and wait a day.

I'm sure others will provide much more expert advice on storing.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
William, I got it from 4noggins. Last I checked there was still some in stock, you should act fast if you're going to place an order.
papipeguy,

Thank you for the insight, I find any personal experience helpful and will keep it in mind in my dealings with this blend.
Where it's a Virginia/Burley/Perique blend it is a little unlike the others I have tried; I am just hoping for some more opinion with regards to Kingfisher itself and also some information about its tin and its storage track record...
Thanks again, guys...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It's been out of stock a long time. I've heard a lot of goods things about Kingfisher; now that I revisit the reviews I am a little concerned, but only time will tell - I will let you all know my thoughts when my package shows up... I'm leaning towards mason jar storage until advised otherwise - the positive about that situation is that you get a chance to try all your blends... Keep me posted, william - take care

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I think the tin is fine for storage, I have a couple of tins that are 7 plus years old just sitting there waiting for me to get around to them. They are nice and quiet, not making any demands or giving me orders, maybe I should give them more attention or even marriage.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Does anyone have any experience with aging the Kingfisher tins from Butera? I've heard that that style of tin is the worst for long-term storage. Do you consider this to be true? I've just ordered 3 tins, am I better off storing them in mason jars?
I don't think storage is an issue so much as once they are open I don't think they seal as well as a screw top tin.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The tins have never given me a problem, so they sit around for years

in the cellar..., as long as I don't think about them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I don't think storage is an issue so much as once they are open I don't think they seal as well as a screw top tin.
Okay, I feel better about leaving them be now. I heard that the tins were poor seals in general. I planned to cellar them and was a little concerned about their integrity, but your comment explains it nicely Hauntedmyst.
Fred & westcoastrich, thanks for the reassurance. I'll probably try one and save the rest for aging purposes.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
You're welcome Sparroa. Yes, tins in general can be a problem with a good

seal, once they are open. One solution is to jar a blend once the tin is

open. I prefer to augment the seal on the tin instead, which is more convenient

with a large open rotation. Putting a slight cant to the sides of a non-circular

tin helps, but I also use a gasket of either plastic or foil. By placing a

flat sheet of either clear plastic (like you find in the larger zip-lock bags)

or aluminum foil over the top of the bottom half of the tin, the next step is

to press the lid onto the bottom of the tin. This forms a good seal and the

excess can be trimmed while the tin is sealed.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I never heard of that method before. Thanks for letting me know how it's done, sounds good...

Status
Not open for further replies.