PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I was rearranging my cellar today and have 5 tins of rare and discontinued Kingfisher. Two of the tins were rusting through and all 5 tops pulled right off. Every one of the tins had been compromised! 2 of the tins went straight to the trash, the other 3 had little rust and were still moist so I jarred them. Just aggravated that all 5 seals had popped. The tins sit in an air conditioned house and never get touched. They were from around 2010. I don't trust the small rectangular tins now. Samuel Gawith tins seem to hold there seal but the small rectangular tins were all compromised after 7 years. Any experiences with compromised tins? To be honest the only ones I trust are the pull tops from Mcclleland and C&D.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Terrible news! I've never had a tin fail, but I can sympathize with you. Losing anything is bad, but Kingfisher? Tragic!

Was the rust forming on the inside and working its way out?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I've had two tins of Kingfisher and they both rusted from the inside. Neither were ruined, they were definitely on the road to failure.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
Yeah Ashdigger the 3 that I saved were probably a month from drying out. They look pretty good right now, lot of sugar crystals and paper full of tobacco syrup! About to smoke a bowl now.

Have you ever had any other tin fail?

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I knew they were there sallow but thought they were resting comfortably and quietly....I was wrong!

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I know I lost 2 tins but the 3 tins are sublime after 7 years....just wanted to give an update on the 3 tins that I caught just in time. So at least I'm thankful for that if I had waited another month they all would have been garbage

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I just saved one. I was going to keep it but I guess you can have it....no big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.