Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
pipe-cartoon-725.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I really don't know what's so funny about that cartoon. I'm the president of my local pipe club and it looks perfectly normal to me. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife taught, and we used to be amused at how, when people ascended to the chairmanship of the English Department, it changed their personalities for the worst. Some did pretty well, but about half became unpleasant, at least in their leadership role. Sometimes the less power that is conferred the bigger the head swells. So yes, the pipe club president needs to stay grounded, on his throne.

MSO, it's funny that we would expect people to remain the same when taking roles of leadership. Early in my work career I realized that as I rose up the ladder, the more my own bosses would expect me to ride people harder and harder. In college one of my first management jobs in retail was to go into Ben Franklin Craft stores and fire everyone. I just went from store to store and had to mercilessly gut the staff. I was a pretty good friend to so many that I had to turn around and give the ax to. After the first turn-overs and weeks of gut wrenching stories about kids, mortgages, etc... I was a nervous wreck. But, then I got better at it, and could walk in and kill a staff without sweating it. I hated that job, and I didn't last long at it till I looked for something more humane to do for money.
But yeh, wouldn't it be nice if we could be promoted based on how nice we are, and continue to be nicer to the people we know and work with? There is probably one or two jobs in this world where the merit for advancement is amiability. Probably...

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
When I promote staff to leadership positions I have to be clear that while the job changes there personality shouldn't because it was (in part) their personality that go them the promotion! In most cases it means that it changes (or even stops) how you socialize with former coworkers/friends that you now supervise but that's not the same as being a *** to your subordinates.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cosmic, I practically grew up in a Ben Franklin store when it was still just a five and dime, though they carried craft material, all kinds of inexpensive toys, pets like fish, turtles, and supplies, and much else. I spent so much time studying the aisles and deliberating over purchases that the young manager guy was sure I was a shoplifter. He just didn't understand the psychology. Kids are supposed to do impulse buying. The idea that a kid would spend an hour deliberating whether he wanted the bag of rubber soldiers or another black moor fish for his fish bowl was beyond his reach. To his immense credit, despite all his suspicions, over years, he never falsely accused me, and I never took anything, but I bought a lot of stuff over time. And after much deep thought.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
And now we do the same, just not in the aisles of Ben Franklin, but poring over the digital contents of our TAD laden shopping carts. :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.