Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Although I much prefer a badger brush and shaving soap, a brushless approach is much easier to manage when living on the road. Also, I often don't have the time for a lengthy shave.
I have been shaving with an aerosol shave cream and my 1961 Gillette with Feather blades. I was running low on shave cream and popped into a Target today to pick up some more, along with toothpaste which was also running low.
When looking at the cans of shave cream I saw a tube of King Of Shaves Alphagel shaving gel. I figured to give it a try as the gel might be more like brushed on shaving soap than the canned goop.
I have to say that I really like this stuff. It goes on easily, lubricates very well, and moisturizes the face. The only down side is that it smells a little like Vicks Vapor Rub. The scent isn't strong and not really unpleasant, so it's not a big deal to me.
I got a nice, close shave without irritation or nicks. For a brushless shave gel this stuff is pretty darned good.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I always, always, always use "Gentlemen's Tonic" products.
It can be a PITA to get them through Customs, but it's definitely worth it.
My wife visibly shivers when she smells them, after which we typically have to lock the dogs out of the bedroom for a little while. =]

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
Hahaha...
I had to re-read that to make sure we were talking about the "shivering" part.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Last week I took my beard of 20+ years off. My daughter begged me to grow it back, so I started within 24 hours. I only wanted to see how I looked without it. Since I only shave below the jaw line, I really don't care what I use.
Winton

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I use Aramis shaving soap with a brush of choice badger or boar hair and have for many years . Until recently I used a cartridge razor . Then I saw the light and bought a Merkur Futur and gaggle of DE blades to go with it . Best shaves I have ever had unless they came from a barber and a straight razor .

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
If you find a place to buy it, Omega makes a fine soap in a tub that responds very well to a short bristle badger. Want to save some money though? Lather up with Dove toilet soap. It works very well. The shay butter make your skin slick as a baby's bottom.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
i shave with one of the 1st fatboys made or if my hands co-operate, a strait razor. as far as cream and soaps i use crabtree & evelin, col. conk, williams and trufitt & hill. i like variaty...
i need a good 'stache wax, any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.