PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have two Kindles - one without WiFi (3 years old) that still works, and one with WiFi (a year old) that died last night. I have to admit that I really liked the built-in WiFi, but I'm not impressed with the quality of the product. My step-dad has a Fire that's never worked as it should.
So, do I just buy a in-house WiFi connection, and use the old one, or do I invest in another e-book reader like the B&N Nook? If I go with the Nook, can I transfer my books from the Kindle to it?
I find the concept of "throw-away" technology offensive, so I want a well-built product. Any comments?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I think you are confused between 3G and Wifi..
3G means you can load a book almost anywhere via a 3g cellular connection and not be charged by the carrier. WiFi means you can load a book via your WiFi or any free WiFi hot-spot.
you don't need to be connected to either to read books. the downloads take well under a minute.
if I was in the market today for an eReader.. I would do the Kindle Paperwhite standard WiFi w/o the 3G upgrade. I don't need to instantly load books I can plan ahead or load at any WiFi hot-spot.
which Kindle Fire does your Dad have?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
The future of the Nook is very cloudy. Last June the company announced it would stop making them. Then some weeks later, they said the might make some low end models. My advice: go with the Kindle. When I had a problem with mine, Amazon sent me a new one immediately. That's good service. Also, your kindle books will be available on other platforms-- your computer, iPad, smartphone, etc.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
The Nook is a wannabe. The Nook is by definition "throw away technology".
The Kindle just works well.
The new "Paperwhite" is so easy to read, and priced right.
My wife has both a Kindle and iPad. For reading books, the Kindle is far, far better. I really like my Kindle, and you can't beat amazon at what they do best.
Pass on the Nook. Get a Kindle.

Aug 1, 2012
The Kindle is like the iphone, it will only let you do what the manufacturer thinks it should. The nook is like android, much more versatile with reading different types of documents and much more available user-created functions and content. Really depends on whether you want what's cool or what lets you do more.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My understanding was BN was canceling the Nook yielding the space to Kindle. They are still sold, but I think it's just existing stock.
IMO: get an iPad, Kindle app, and have so much more available to you.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use my iPad only for reading technical stuff, camera manuals and photo intense reads. The color screen just doesn't allow me to read for more than a half hour or so. My eyes can handle the Kindle much better. I can read for a couple of hours on a plane no problem.
The Kindle doesn't handle maps, pictures and diagrams as well as the iPad, but the Kindle is much easier on the eyes. My wife uses the "Paper White" Kindle and thoroughly enjoys it. I have the older model with the light built-in and it does me very well.
I've no need for 3G as I load the Kindle up before leaving on a trip. If for some reason I need more reads most hotels, pubs and the like now have WiFi so I've never needed 3G. Save the additional cost for books.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I would definitely go with the Kindle. I read e-books all the time (3 to 4 books per week). But -- and this is a huge BUT -- I very rarely use my Kindle. Instead, I use the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone. I can easily store all my books on it, and they look absolutely beautiful on the iPad. The versatility that comes with the Kindle is hard to overstate, IMO. I have a choice of numerous platform on which I can download and read my ever-growing library, and it seems as though Amazon has managed to secure rights (or is in the process of securing the rights) to just about everything that's published. I doubt this technology will ever replace my books completely (I've got more than 1,000 volumes in my home library, and that's after the Kindle-inspired downsizing that started a couple of years ago), but the bottom line is that most of my new purchases are made through the Kindle.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have a Nook tablet the wife picked up for me a year or so ago and love it. It's based on the Android operating system and there is a SIM card you can purchase that lets the Nook run as a fully functional Android tablet for about $50 from Amazon. It works nicely.
Books are more expensive than Kindle due to the pricing model they use. While there has been a lot of talk about the future of Nook, Microsoft has invested a lot of money on Nook so if B&N were to drop it, its a good bet Microsoft would pick it up. I've not heard anything about them selling existing stock and stopping production, plus they recently came out with a new reader similar to the Kindle Paperwhite.
That said, if I were to do it over, I would probably go with the Kindle simply because its future is more certain, more books are available than for the Nook and they are generally cheaper. Both companies have apps you can download, I have the Kindle one the Android side of my Nook. I am thinking about getting a Kindle Paperwhite since it is smaller than the Nook and lighter. Don't get me wrong, I love the Nook, service has been excellent and I've not had any issues with mine.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if he wants a tablet there are better choices.. if he wants an eReader the Kindle is the best choice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Doc. I've had a first Gen Kindle (no light, reads perfectly in direct sunlight). I now have a Fire and like the back-lit screen. I almost never use the Fire for any web surfing or anything else other than reading books. So, a paper-white Kindle would probably be the best choice, for strictly reading. I've use my Fire to surf occasionally and would rather take a beating than use it regularly for that task. Typing on the touch screen is a tedious task (I'm a laptop guy). Putting books on the Fire is a snap, I just email them to the Kindle. Occasionally, I'll transfer via USB. One downside is the inability to organize your books. I have a Kindle app for that but it also works poorly.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've had every Kindle generation that's been produced (apart from the larger-format DX). So I'm biased. But my strong recommendation would be to go Kindle Paperwhite. And as others have said, the built-in free 3G should be fine for you.
If you want something more high-powered, I'd recommend the iPad Mini. You can run the (free) Kindle app and access all of your content easily, and you'd have an extremely capable tablet in-hand should that be what you want at any given moment.
But the Kindle Fire is a top-notch, though more-limited, device as well. Not sure what issues your dad is having with it, but it consistently gets high marks for what it does. (There's a lot it doesn't do well, but it was designed specifically to read books, watch videos, and listen to music. And it does those things quite well.)
But I'm both an Amazon fan and an Apple fan.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
OK, the votes are in - Kindle Paperwhite it is . . .
Doc, you're right, I was confused about 3G and WiFi. Thanks Guys!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Good decision. We have an iPad and it sucks for reading a book, lots of eye strain from the backlit screen. I have the Kindle Paperwhite and love it. Never even considered a Nook because it's a copycat product with a shaky future.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
shutterbugg wrote:
"We have an iPad and it sucks for reading a book, lots of eye strain from the backlit screen."
I go back and forth between reading Kindle books on my Paperwhite and on the iPad. I've found it can really reduce strain to turn the light way down on the iPad.
Bob

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My wife and I recently bought Kobo e-readers in order to get away from Kindle's semi-proprietary format and DRM scheme. They can be purchased through local independent bookstores or online, and your Kobo account can be linked to local indie bookstores as well, so that you can purchase e-books through your local bookstore as well as Kobo directly. They'll also read e-book files in multiple formats, and have an SD card slot for additional storage space.
The devices that we bought (KoboGlo) have a switchable backlight - you can turn it off when there's sufficient light to read by, or turn it on after dark. I have noted that if I use the device for more than an hour or two, it can start to stutter a little - pages will not load for a short time, then two or three will load in sequence. Usually a quick reboot will take care of this issue, or else I'll get up and move around for a little while.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
recently bought Kobo e-readers
My God, I can barely use the Kindle, but I have to admit the Kobo sounds interesting. The only problem is there aren't any independent bookshops here. Just Barnes and Noble, but I'll go online and check it out. Thanks, Phred.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Got both the Nook and Kindle Fire...really love the Kindle...it has a lot more flexibility..has wifi..and has a Barnes and Noble app that I can read Nook books on it..

I have five of the Kindle Fire 1st runs laying about the house for the kids and I, and two Fire HDs. I've had a few issues, but when I called Amazon, they shipped immediately. And, I received the new one the next day. The customer service was amazing. But, we are going to have to expect bumps along the road with Kindles, as they released them very quickly at a dirt cheap price.

At under $150, phhht, I just keep one in any room in which I might want to read. Yeah, yeah, there's one in the bathroom, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.