PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So the thread on beards and the related pictures got me wondering. . .
Any other kilt wearers hereabouts?
I'm the guy in the middle. [Just for the tally books, although the angle of the picture seems to suggest otherwise, my kilt IS the proper length -- right in the middle of the knee. The other two fellas. . . . ]
kilts_zpsalqdknuy.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
For those interested, here's a good primer on kilt length. [WARNING language is WAY NSFW.]
The Kilt Song
I'm Irish, not Scottish, so my formal kilt is of the Irish variety. Looking for a picture in that.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
No, but I have always wondered when the Four Peaks Brewing Company named their Scottish Ale, what the hell were they thinking? Wouldn't they have sold more beer if they had named their ale Lassie Lifter or Lassie Slayer or Lassie Layer or something? On the other hand, I'm sure Kilt Lifter sells well on Ladies Night. If you wear your kilt in there on Wednesday nights I'm sure the ladies will be buying you drinks all night!

R60KEHF.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If tight briefs inhibit male fertility, kilts may promote large families.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I rock a kilt. Clan Ross. My family moved from scotland to ireland chsnging the last name from ross to rose. It was a blending in tactic as the family story goes. Competing in my kilt at the irish musoc fest highland games in a few months here in Michigan.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I wear a gathered Great Kilt that measures 9 yards. Some of my smaller ones are 2-3 yards.
Remember only a real man wears a Kilt.
John

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
They're not my bag, but I think it's cool that other men are comfortable wearing skirts. I see younger men, in their late teens and early twenties wearing skirts fairly often and it makes me happy that they don't feel as constrained to a gender stereotype as I do. I was raised by a, shall we say, old school father. My Dad thought that men should stop wearing short pants by the time they got out of school, to him, men had no reason to show anyone their legs unless they were actively participating in a sporting event or swimming. He would have had a brain aneurism if he saw a grown man in a skirt. Scottish men in a clan pattern kilt I think he saw as a heritage costume and gave them a pass as they were wearing the clothing of their ancestors. I have seen skirts in BDU patterns and some with skulls etc. I can see a time, in twenty or thirty years from now when we won't bat an eye when we see a man in a skirt or carrying a purse for that matter, another practice I'm seeing more of; traditional male/female stereotypes are eroding everyday, as our culture becomes more tolerant of people's own choices.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
philobeddoe, ya know what would be swell fun?
Stop by and share that commentary with me and the two fellows there in the picture. Be sure to call it a skirt a lot and make some gender comments. don't skip any of it. Or maybe come by my family reunion -- or even better some highland games -- and you could set up a booth to share that perspective.
Yes, I think that would be tremendous fun -- you know, the whole exchange of ideas and whatnot.
And in addition to the projection of your obvious (and doubtless well-deserved) feelings of inadequate masculinity, I have to say, it is so refreshing -- in era when things like racial prejudice seem to have pushed other prejudices aside -- to see that good old fashioned anti-Celtic bias can still found. Say. . . your real name wouldn't be Trevelyan would it?
:D
[Smiley face makes it OK.]

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some things are best left to the imagine. Judging from the photo I don't have the . . . legs, that's it, the legs to carry it off in public. :oops:
Please God, let us not have a thread requesting photos of the members wearing their Speedos.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Clan MacLean, a normal 8 Yarder.
And the only tactical assault kilt....is a kilt. Wool and tartan worked at the Waterloo, the Somme, and Normandy. We Scots had tactical nailed 1000 years ago :)

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Tslex: I'm sorry if I offended you, if you need to call it a kilt, then so be it, it's a kilt. It had always been my assumption that a kilt was to be made of Tartan fabric that represented a specific Clan, be it a Scottish Clan or a Celtic Clan. Therefore by claiming that khaki, olive drab, etc. "skirts" are equal to the sanctified ancestral costume of hundreds of years of Scots and Celts seems more than a little disrespectful to their heritage. I genuinely see nothing wrong with men wearing skirts, saris, hulas or whatever you want to call them, but your reaction to my comments and your implicit threat of physical violence would seem to prove that you are not indeed as comfortable as you had previously claimed.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Scotties, our Irish cousins, migrated from Eire and took all the kilts with them. When they returned as Gallóglaigh the kilt did not take the country by storm as a fashion statement. Thank goodness!
In all seriousness, a man in the full regalia, sporran and a sgian dubh required, look very manly. A dress kilt is a killer at a party. Unfortunately to carry it off well, the wearer needs to be over six feet and not have a chest that has fallen too far. I meet neither of those requirements.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I can certainly appreciate a Scot's allegiance to the tartan of his clan, and can well understand the Scottish insistence on a kilt being made only of that material. But Scots clans have tartans to call their own and the Irish really do not. While there are tartans associated with the various Irish counties (and by that I mean all 32 of them) those tartans are not identified with any families very closely. [The "Irish Disapora" tartan or the "All Ireland" tartans are recent -- I'd say artificial -- creations.] So it is common for an Irish kilt to be in a plain colors -- dark green and saffron are the most common. No one would reasonably suggest that the wearing of such a kilt (mine is dark green) is any insult to "the sanctified ancestral costume of hundreds of years of Scots." My family goes back time out of mind in Mayo, fought through its generations for a free Ireland and is a sanctified as any.
Folks may only know of Scottish kilts and tartans, but that doesn't mean those are the only authentic kilts. (Thankfully we live in a wondrous age, when ignorance can be put to flight with just a few taps of the keyboard. (Albeit wisdom still has to be acquired in the old way.)) If you state "it had always been my assumption that a kilt was to be made of Tartan fabric that represented a specific Clan, be it a Scottish Clan or a Celtic Clan," then you are simply wrong. There's no shame in being wrong, unless you persist in being wrong after better information comes along.
Perhaps this lack of clan association with a particular tartan is the reason I find no offense in a black or khaki kilt, as it's not so different from any solid colored kilt. But, to the larger point, I certainly wouldn't broadly and snidely insult someone I'd never met if he chose to wear one. [And not for nothing, some Highlander regiments DID in fact wear khaki kilt aprons for parade and for battle.]
But then, many folks sadly find it easy in these days to talk about things like a sanctified family honor, and to hurl insults, from behind the anonymity of a computer screen. It is one tragedy of the modern age.
philobedoe, my "reaction to your comments" was precisely the reaction a man who hurls insults ought to have expected. (You did expect it, didn't you? Or have you grown so accustomed to your stint as a keyboard bad-ass that you expect, instead, to insult someone you've never met, and have them thank you for the favor? What special sort of craven fellow is it, who instigates such an exchange, then fusses when he gets the expected reply.)
As for any "implicit threat of physical violence," I'll say two things: First, if ever make a threat -- a thin I rarely do, as it wastes breath and gives the other fellow a warning -- there's not single damned implicit thing about it -- so you must have been mistaken. Second, now that you have brought it up, it does seem to me that people had better manners when communication was face-to-face, and a man checked his sneering insults of another man, unless he was ready expected to stand for what he said and to answer for it.
I know -- I'm speaking of things beyond your ken. So please, I'm sure you'd like the last snide little word. . . have at it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The kilt is not Irish in any sense of the word. Scots brought the kilt with them during "The Plantation" (mostly lowland Scots, but some from the highlands.) and the Norman invasion where they took possession of Irish lands. Some of these Scots as in the gallowglass, Normans, and lowland Scots or Scots-Irish who remained and as the saying goes, became more Irish than the Irish. The Scots-Irish were the first to flee the base treatment of the crown.

The Irish left in waves during the "Great Starvation" or potato famine.
Yes Scots were mercenaries for some of the Irish chieftans but, more frequently are remembered as hirelings of the Crown. While acceptable in the Republic the kilt is more than likely worn by Irish of Scots descent in Northern Ireland.
The kilt becomes chic, even stylish, now and then. It becomes necessary for some people go looking for possible Scots antecedents and then adopt a tartan when reasonable. I know some of lowland Scottish descent who wear the tartan of an adopted clan as the kilt is a highland piece of attire.
In Ireland what the Scots refer to as a clan is more correctly called a tribe or sept which were less well-developed as a social entity than the "clan" of Scotland.
I am of Irish and Scots-Irish descent. So, when in Northern Ireland I keep on "me toes" when in a pub. I never discuss "loyalist and republican" politics with anyone, even friends. The same goes in the Republic with respect to the "Irish Civil War." The wounds are deep, recent and barely scabbed over.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
tslex, your responses....ARE....EPIC! and that song!! :rofl: :worship: :lol: I don't need to tell YOU this but wear your Kilt proudly my friend! I know how important heritage is. My hometown is going through a lot right now and had it not been for our heritage, we would not have been able to band together as we have. Lafayette Strong. CajunProud.

Status
Not open for further replies.