PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
In the past, I didn't have problems with breaking in a pipe. However, I wonder if a gradual break in might minimize the bubbling of a glossy finish that I've had problems with, this time with a ebony Peterson 408. But how to properly break a pipe in. How is it done?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Build cake with Prince Albert or something like it. Obviously take it easy on the puffing. Freight training the pipe will definitely overheat it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only Pete that has been noticeable in breaking in, for me, is a K&P rusticated slightly bent author, and with it, it was merely a matter of time. It was a serviceable smoker but just lacked that immediate sense of delivering a good smoke effortlessly, but I could feel it improve slowly, and finally after about three years, it arrived. All my other Petes -- smooth, unfinished, or rusticated -- have been quick to smoke well, almost effortlessly. The bubbling of a glossy finish has never happened to me, and I have several Petersons and some other brands with a high gloss finish. So it can be used without problems. Peterson has done well lately, with fewer complaints, but I'm sorry to hear yours. Hope the new ownership can address some of these quality issues. A glossy finish can be issue free; many are. Breaking a pipe in, I just smoke a standard loose tobacco I enjoy, no special rituals.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
One school of thought, break in a pipe slowly by loading it up, smoking it until you feel the slightest heat on the outside, set it down to cool. Come back, light it again and smoke it until warm. Set it down. Do this all day long if necessary. I've done it before. I don't know that it really helps, but it is worth a try. This is a method from Brian mentioned on the show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, I've never tried that slow-mo' breaking in on a pipe. I'm glad I've never felt the need, since it sounds rather arduous in time and effort. My dad was an all-day smoker, and only smoked one pipe, no rotation, until it cracked, then he bought another. I have quite a stable of pipes, but he was my role model on breaking in a pipe. Pack 'em and smoke 'em

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
MSO, I typically fall squarely in your camp as well. However, if someone is worried about bubbling a finish or if there is evidence of a pit, I simply pass on the advice that Brian once gave. I don't believe he tends to use this method either, but it is out there for those concerned.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I got an ebony 408, which is what I actually waterborne vendors of the first pipe graciously agreed to refund their 408--and i' m basically slowing down on roaring through this ebony version. A couple a slow mild smokes a day, with Chapstick lip balm to protect the rim. So far, so good.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Pack 'em and smoke 'em
This method works for many, however I tend to get more caking at the top of the chamber rather than the heel due to the fact that I often toss the bottom quarter of the bowl. So in cases like mine it is probably better to start with half filled bowls and progressively increase until full after 20 bowls or so.
If the bubbling is near the rim, it is possible that your lighter is too hot as well, however, I suspect the finish is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.