PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello pipe experts, I wonder if anyone can offer anything to my latest pipe puzzle. In amongst my latest estate pipe bundle were two Kiko 79A meer lined princes that are also leatherclad. One was nigh on unsmoked whereas the other (this pipe) was clearly well smoked. Before I started a refurb proper I started by doing some basic cleansing of the pipe. It was whilst cleaning out the meer lined bowl that an extraordinary thing happened....a ring of meer popped out!
I was always of the assumption that meer lined pipes consisted of a complete meer 'plug' being inserted into the briar bowl but this is not the case here. I haven't cleaned/studied the pipe enough yet to determine if there are more rings in there but am very surprised to find that my bowl is in at least two pieces!
Is anyone out there familiar enough with the brand to know whether this was normal practice for Kiko pipes or indeed normal practice for all meer lined pipe makers?
Would love to know. Below are three pictures that show what I describe above.
Regards,
Jay.
img_0001-28-600x399.jpg

img_0002-27-600x399.jpg

img_0003-25-600x399.jpg

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Hmm. I've never seen this before. I'm interested in hearing others take on it.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I would be very surprised to hear that meerschaum lined bowls, from any maker, are made from block. I can imagine all sorts of ways pressed meerschaum could come apart, including that way.
Mike S.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Seeing it pop in a clean ring like that makes me think that perhaps they made a generic one size fits all lower piece and a taller ring that was cut down sort of per pipe. I havent ever seen anything like that but I build a lot of oddball stuff at work so thats my W.A.G.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A perfect circle. Like a seam let loose between two pieces making up a bowl insert? I would imagine you can press meerschaum into about any shape you want.
Mike S.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
I have a Kiko and Kilimanjaro. Neither appear to be segmented. The box front of the Kiko states: "Guaranteed Amboseli Block Meerschaum Insert"
A speculative stretch: With meerschaum being such a fine, uniform grain, a near perfect circular split isn't all that unlikely especially if say, the evenly exerted force of the drying/shrinking leather cinched the top of the bowl a hair.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Interesting thought Pipedreamin, however meerschaum (sepiolite Mg4(Si6O15)(OH)2·6H2O) has no natural cleavage planes therefore no 'grain' as such. It's just a mass of microscopc needles compacted together. My other interest is mineralogy BTW.
I think Lifeon hit it on the head with his theory.
Regards,
Jay.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
You say you got 2 of these correct? What does the other one look like in the bowl? I assume it is not the same thing. I have one Kiko Meerlined I got in a lot but I don't remember it being in two pieces. I may have to have a look at mine.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Snag, I just had the other pipe under the microscope and can plainly see there is a ring sitting atop the rest of the meer bowl. It never occurred to me to look at the second pipe until you mentioned it so cheers for that.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.