PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
A couple of weeks ago we had our two daughters and their families over. As usual, everyone was bent over their cell phone or Ipad while more or less visiting and conversing. I noticed that my oldest daughter's cell phone looked new, so I asked her if it was and she said. "Yes". I asked what kind and she said, A white one." Of course we all laughed at this because although our oldest daughter is highly intelligent, has a serious corporate career, we all know she is brain dead when it comes to electronics, yet her very career depends on computers, the internet, etc. etc.. We all take turns gently teasing her about it because we all know that teasing her is akin to poking a sleeping bear with a pointy stick. Once aroused her ire is quite marvelous to behold, granted at a safe distance. She is the same way when it comes to automobiles. She despises cars yet drives a GMC van she somewhat fondly refers to as Mr. Knox. If someone were to ask her what kind of a car she drives she would honestly say, "One with four wheels." Then I thought, talk about the kettle calling the pot black. I have spent over 40 years working as a drafstman (The politically correct term is now draftsperson.) The last decade I have spent designing gas and chemical plants using a number of various 3D modeling platforms, yet if I need help with my TV and various things connected to it; I gotta call my grand kids. In fact I'm so electronic-gizmo brain dead that I don't dare deviate from my standard procedure of turning on my TV and DVD player things. If someone were to ask what kind of TV I had my response would be, "It's tall and wide and then look at them blankly as they shake their head and wonder off muttering things like, "what a dinosaur," at which point I would clandestinely check my skin for scales. My grand kids push a few buttons, make a few adjustments and say, "this is just like the last time we did this for you grandpa. Want us to make you a list?" That after me sharing all my special stock of Honey-Graham animal crackers. The ingraits! I'm always nervous when I decide to buy a part for my bike or my car, especially when it says, "Installs easily in ten minutes." Of course it does. I once purchased a belly pan for my 1800 Goldwing I was lured by the manufactures strident claim that 'installation' is simple. I guess I'm something lower on the scale than simple. I don't know what that means but my wife says think turnips. After struggling unsuccessfully for seven hours with said belly pan and it's four bolts, I finally admitted defeat and reluctantly called my son-in-law who is a licensed mechanic. I always take this as a kind of kamikaze, last resort thing because I want him to think that I am a bad ass mechanic and can do magical things like he can. Like fix the toaster kind of thing. HA HA HA! That, by the way, is sarcasm. He came over, lay on his back and within about 30 seconds got up. I said, "Do you need something? Can I grab you a squeezer thing (AKA pliers) or one of those socket things? You know what his response was? "No, I'm done!" Your, your, what? I gasped! "I'm done." Are you *ucking with my head because you know I struggled, I mean worked on this for SEVEN whole *ucking hours and I know how you guys like *ucking with my head. At which point he chuckles and goes into the house to join the other family members with yet another, 'Grandpa' story. I tell ya. I'm sure glad packing and smoking a pipe isn't near as complicated.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
Yesterday, I changed the oil in my truck. I thought about a co-worker (he's only a few years younger than my 58), who a few weeks ago had mentioned paying a shop to get his oil changed. That's like calling roadside help to change a flat tire. Once when I was visiting my parents, Mom and I were talking about making chili. Dad thought it was funny, this talk about "recipes". I pointed out that since I live alone, if I don't learn how to make the foods I want, there's no one to make them for me. He admitted he has no idea how to cook a thing. He's 80 years old.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Not to be too philosophical, but I have noticed a strange phenomenon wrt modern tech.
Yes it has become extraordinarily complicated although it's supposed to make our lives easier! Cell phones, internet connections, satellite tv, appliances, vehicles, yikes!

But on the other hand, and this is the weird thing, the resources for do-it-yourself are at an all time high. It is almost a certainty that there are dozens of YouTube videos for replacing gold wing oil pans.
I have had luck repairing certain complex car problems, flat screen tvs, plumbing, other major appliances, iPhones, etc. Mostly because I hate being "ripped off" by the experts. Yes many of these things you can't do without a lot of know how or special tools, but some you can. Things you couldn't dream of doing 20-30 years ago. For example I was able to find a garage door part on Amazon for $10 bucks. The exact part delivered in 2 days. To my house! A repair would have been many of 100$ s and I would have had to taken the day off of work. Or ordering the part would have taken weeks and it would be wrong. Who stocks such obscure things?
Any way my observation is that the very same complexity that drives us crazy as made some things very simple. Weird how that works. It seems like the free market knows what it doing?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
bcharles123, So true. My wife and I have Samsung Galaxy 3 cell phones. About 2 years ago the speaker in her phonecrapped out. Bell/Samsung said it would be at least a $150.00 repair or buy a new phone. I went to Utube and there were several vids about fixing it. I then went to Ebay and found a part for $5.00, bought it, fixed the phone by watching a Utube video and it's been fine ever since.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Can I change my own oil? Certainly? Would I? No. I have a man I pay to to that. He does it faster, changes all the liquids and I stay cleaner. For me changing my oil and such is costly. I have to package up the discarded oil and transport it to a "facility" in order to dispose of it legally. Also, while one vehicle is in the shop I'm in the other one working. Not that I begrudge those that take care of maintenance themselves, it just doesn't make good fiscal sense for me anymore.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I love changing my oil. It's easy, I feel good about myself getting it done, I get a little dirty (just greasy enough to satisfy my notions of being "handy")...and I get to smoke while the pan is draining.
I'm 27 this month. Give it a few years, I'll be grumbling or paying someone.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Can I change my own oil? Certainly? Would I? No.
I'm kind of on the fence about that. I used to do it all the time but now I find as I get older and ironically, busier, that it is easier, and quicker, and cleaner to let someone else do our vehicles.

Pro's and con's on both sides. I enjoy putzing and the satisfaction of doing things myself. I pretty much do all my own bike maintenance but that is because I think letting a dealer do it is putting my life at risk. I won't let a bike dealer touch my bike.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I change my own oil and do most other maintenance tasks on my vehicles. I do not enjoy it, but I have had one too many oil pan plugs cross-threaded and rounded off, and do not enjoy using a 6-foot cheater bar because some moron installed my lug nuts with a 1/2" drive impact wrench.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not to be too philosophical, but I have noticed a strange phenomenon wrt modern tech.
Yes it has become extraordinarily complicated although it's supposed to make our lives easier! Cell phones, internet connections, satellite tv, appliances, vehicles, yikes!
The only thing I find difficult about modern technology is deciphering all these dog gone acronyms people keep coming up with.
WRT?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've added extra security to my internet and television since the grand-kids came along.

They are quite clever but don't always know when to "stop". :)
Oil changes are easy on my truck because there is room to just roll under it.

My wife's car, however, goes to Oil Can Henry's since it sits just inches off the ground.
YouTube was a godsend when I was remodeling my house ... saved me thousands and I learned many new skills.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I work at a government facility that prohibits employees from taking their phones into the building. It's a security measure and not due to some strange government funded study on workplace productivity. At any rate, it's fascinating to watch people go outside periodically throughout the day to check their phones. There was a time when smokers were the ones who used to get scorned for taking smoke breaks throughout the day...now its the phone zombies that can't go 8 hours without having to head outside to check their phones.
It's fascinating really. I don't have a smart phone, so I take notice of people's strange behavior with their phones. A few days ago I was at the grocery store and was trying to bypass this lady who was swerving down the aisle with her cart at a snail's pace. I finally managed to slip past her with my cart and when I glanced over at her she was glued to her damn phone texting or what have you. It just boggles my mind. If we ever experience an electromagnetic pulse that knocks out all of our electronics I think more people will die from suicide over not being able to check facebook and twitter than from hunger.
At any rate...just a little off topic. Sorry.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Here is technologically disabled for you. My father has never walked into a bank his whole life. Has never used a gas station. Up until my mothers chemo and knee surgeries never did laundry. Has never cooked a meal. Does not know how to use his cell phone other than flipping it open and answering.
Yet he has been a successful dairy farmer his entire life. My question is, do we really need technology?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had bad experiences in middle age having computers introduced in my workplace, and an even worse experience getting one at home (that finally resulted in class action legal suits against the manufacturer nationwide, it was that bad). So in addition to my nature not being particularly sympatico with technology, my introduction amounted to aversion therapy. People born after about 1980 tend to be fed technology with mother's milk. The whole cyber, binary, silicone valley world is part of their mindset. What is insulting, humiliating and enraging to me is an interesting challenging game to them. Granted there are old folks senior to me who took it up and found it enjoyable, but there is also a generational divide. My own dad learned programming language and ran a computer lab at the local community college, but would never have a computer at home. For a lot of us, the whole experience has been as much or more a frustration than a delight. I do worry that staring at small devices for unending hours cannot be nourishing to peoples' other abilities and talents, whatever the benefits in techno-world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had bad experiences in middle age having computers introduced in my workplace, and an even worse experience getting one at home (that finally resulted in class action legal suits against the manufacturer nationwide, it was that bad). So in addition to my nature not being particularly sympatico with technology, my introduction amounted to aversion therapy. People born after about 1980 tend to be fed technology with mother's milk. The whole cyber, binary, silicone valley world is part of their mindset. What is insulting, humiliating and enraging to me is an interesting challenging game to them. Granted there are old folks senior to me who took it up and found it enjoyable, but there is also a generational divide. My own dad learned programming language and ran a computer lab at the local community college, but would never have a computer at home. For a lot of us, the whole experience has been as much or more a frustration than a delight. I do worry that staring at small devices for unending hours cannot be nourishing to peoples' other abilities and talents, whatever the benefits in techno-world.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've always felt it's a matter of picking one's battles.
For years, I did my own bicycle maintenance, largely because I didn't have a lot of money, and shop charges add up. I learned how to replace a chain, degrease a derailleur, adjust both front and rear derailleurs, and do my own brake jobs. Now? I take my bike to a shop, leave it over the weekend, and have a pro do it for me while I relax and enjoy some well-deserved leisure time.
As for cars, I didn't own one for years, and never learned the basics - they have shops that do that. My computer, on the other hand, I learned inside and out well enough to build my own from off-the-shelf parts. Again, I no longer find the exercise as enjoyable as I used to, so I put up with the occasional random error message, or find a workaround if my operating system stops doing everything the way it used to...
On the other hand, I'll probably spend this weekend installing and configuring a new wireless router, with the hope that I'll be able to successfully assign a permanent IP to my wireless printer so that I don't have to reconfigure one or both devices every time I need to print something.
Time vs. Money vs. Pleasure. I can make more money, but I can't recover time spent doing something unpleasant.

Mar 1, 2014
At one point I tried using Slackware (the least automated version of Linux ever) and spent an entire day putting a Firefox shortcut on the desktop. It was basically an exercise to say that I did and is the closest I've ever come do doing "programming", and all that I did was follow a tutorial while copy-pasting code. Man alive doing that made me appreciate Ubuntu (and Windows) on a new level. Digging deeper than the surface level is basically learning a new language, and even OS navigation is a bit like figuring out how to talk to someone from a completely different culture. Once you're familiar with multiple systems you start to understand the basic rules and thought flow that they all follow, sort of like behaviours that are common to all humanity, but getting to that point is no small challenge.
When I bought an iPad I spent about a dozen hours over course of a week just flipping every switch the OS has just to see what happens and how I like things to run. I think people drastically understate how much effort goes into effectively using any given modern device, especially if you don't have decades of foundational computer use.

Status
Not open for further replies.