PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Holy guacamole guys. It has been a long year. My daughter was born a year ago this month, and I decided to hang up the pipe smoking for a year. Well. Two moves later, I gave my pipes away to more needy folk and my tobacco has been given away too. So earlier I logged on to order myself another startup. I'm a cheap. And I love the cobs. so I settled on a MM Country Gent and so P.S. Luxury Twist. But boy oh boy am I like a kid in a candy shop now. Just waiting for my package to get here. I can't stop looking through Pipes and Cigars and Smoking Pipe's websites. Someone, please stop me. :)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Welcome back to the fold my friend. How you like being a father? My daughter just turned 14 months old on the 14th and I have to say, it’s been quite the ride but I’m loving every minute of it!

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
@hawky454: absolutely loving it! It's been a ride to say the least, but it's amazing to see a person grow. Such a blessing.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
This my lil girl, I know nobody cares but it’s just the Dad in me that wants to show her off.
EoYqGWh.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks for sharing! Look at the rolls on her (the only time you can ever say that is when it’s regarding a baby, lol). She’s a cutie! She’s walking then?

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Oh boy is she a chunky lump. :)

She's standing and has taken 1 or 2 steps on her own, just doesn't have the confidence yet. What about yours?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks Salted Plug.
Travelergypsy, she took her first steps on Christmas Day (Christmas miracle? Lol). She started off slow but now she’s all over the place, now she runs to the door when I get home from work for a hug (best feeling in the world!) and she loves it when I chase her around and the house. It changes the game completely once they start walking, if you didn’t already, I’d start child proofing the house!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When my youngest, a girl, was an infant and into her first year and a half, I got a lot of suggestions from family that she might require a 'look see' as to why she really wasn't talking much.

I knew better. When she started, she spoke in sentences. By 3, she was asking "what's all this about dying?"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fine young women. They look like happy kids, though all kids have their moods. About your pipes, this is a good narrative to remind people, if you suspend pipe smoking don't give up your pipes and tobacco. Store them carefully, or use them as decor. The tobacco, properly jarred, will age nicely for you or someone else. The pipes will be fine, and ready to go if you decide to smoke them again, or light up on special occasions. I quit for some years, but kept the pipes as favorite objects, and I'm smoking them again.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
When my youngest, a girl, was an infant and into her first year and a half, I got a lot of suggestions from family that she might require a 'look see' as to why she really wasn't talking much.

I knew better. When she started, she spoke in sentences. By 3, she was asking "what's all this about dying?"

That is really good to hear. On her 1 year check up the doctor seemed concerned that she didn’t know any words yet, she told us that usually they can say up to three words. That really concerned me for awhile but we are doing everything right as parents and I can just see her lil brain working. I stopped worrying about it though... Wasn’t Einstein 8 years old before he ever spoke?
Fine young women. They look like happy kids, though all kids have their moods.

Thanks, Mso. And you ain’t lyin’!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good to track kids' development, but not hover or cultivate worry. If there are developmental issues, addressing them early helps a lot. One of our extended family is "on the spectrum" with autism, but I've had fun picking out toys and games for him, and he's an interesting guy, with some pronounced talents and abilities. He's coming along well. Another family friend, now a young adult, is autistic but also high achieving and is now a researcher with a federal agency, NOAA. Various celebrities were/are dyslexic but use other talents for major success. And of course, a lot of kids just choose their time and develop well, and then teach their parents and grandparents how to use their digital devices.
I used to car pool with a woman who had been identified as retarded as a child and was tracked in school accordingly. Then a teacher observed her carefully, told her she wasn't retarded, and tutored her so that it was clear she was not. She completed college with a science degree, and later a graduate degree in public policy, and coauthored papers with the director of a research agency.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Cute little girls. I miss those days. My youngest is 19 and I am proud of him and the man he is becoming. But I really do miss the days when I had kids running around the house and they think you know everything and you are the greatest. Then they grow up and think they know more than you and you are not so great haha. Enjoy being a parent, it is one of the greatest gifts if not the greatest. Glad to see you back on the pipe smoking horse again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Saw a documentary about a couple who adopted a girl infant in China. They handed the baby to the mom who was nervous and emotional, and the baby screamed, so they handed over to the dad. The little girl settled right in and looked around. The dad looked a little self-conscious but was content to see his new daughter settle down. Then a look came over the little one's face, like, "hey, this is a guy I can definitely deal with." It was perfectly clear who was in charge. Though it is a stereotype, I do think girls, even as infants, have developed and knowing social instincts. They are born negotiating the social world. Boys want to know the rules. The girls want to know who to go see.

The Pipe Professor

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2016
Kentucky
thepipeprofessor.com
Welcome back to the hobby! I would also suggest tobaccopipes.com if you are looking to pick up a few random tins here and there to try without wanting to pay a crapload for shipping. They offer free shipping on all orders, no matter how big or small. It's a very nice service if you are just wanting to pick up a tin or two. Beautiful kiddos all!

Status
Not open for further replies.