PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
What does the hive think? What is the most important key to a good smoke...packing, tabacco, pipe choice, puffing cadence, frame of mind, all of the above? I am always surprised when I grab my favorite pipe, my favorite blend and seemly do everything the same way and I get a crappy smoke. Fortunately it doesn't happen often but it does happen so I wonder where I went wrong.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I restate, we all look for a decent smoke in different ways. For me, the evening pipes are special only if I can ignore the pipe in my mouth as I read. That, for me is a great smoke. Embers and Cosmic have it right I think.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
All you mentioned.Most importantly,I do my sayonce then it comes to relaxing and smoking slow.My only disappointing smokes are grabbing a TobaccoI haven't smoked MUCH,and realizing why I do not smoke it much,because it is not as good as the others I smoke.ha!Enjoy

Sep 18, 2015
All of the above plus some, I’m not sure it’s possible to get a ‘perfect’ smoke every time there’s just too many variables involved, even the humidity can change things up. I agree about not over thinking it but I find I do have too constantly make adjustments based on the above.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
The same for me. Sometimes when I'm mowing the lawn and jacking with the bag and such my smoke isn't as enjoyable. The same day I can be talking a walk along the canal with the wife and it's a great smoke. Frame of mind.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
A good smoke is when it works out the way it is supposed to. It normally does, otherwise it wouldn't be very rewarding. Sometimes it happens to be better than normal, but that can happen with everything. A glass of water can also be extremely satisfying sometimes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not overthinking it for sure. Then again, I worked a lot out through practice and experimentation over the years so I don't have to think about it. Assuming you're into flavor, the one key thing not mentioned in the OP's post is moisture content.

Status
Not open for further replies.