PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I just popped a tin of Key Largo for a change of pace. First time. I think I'm gonna like this one a lot. The Red Virginias are coming along sweet and interplay nicely with the hint of the deep earthy (almost exotic) cigar leaf. The Latakia is lurking in the background giving this tobacco depth and richness that intrigues. The Turkish gives it a dimension I cannot yet describe that I'm hoping to put my finger on soon. This man called Gregory Pease is a gift from heaven to pipe smokers!
Question though. Since the Latakia is not aplenty in this blend, will it ghost my everyday Kentucky/Burly/Virginia Pipes or shall I smoke this in them without worry?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
First couple of puffs from dark fired will clear it up, if any at all. Key Largo fan here too.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
chasingembers, thats wonderful news! Some of best pipes don't usually come in contact with Latakia but I'm liking this so far and was wondering how it will perform in them!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't think there's enough latakia in the blend to ghost a pipe. The cigar leaf would do that first, and I don't think that, in the amount offered, will ghost a pipe either, though you may taste a little of it if you smoke a number of bowls in the same pipe, and then switch to something else. But if that happened, it'd vanish fairly quickly.
Great tobacco. Great movie, too! :puffy:

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Yet another one to try, anything from GL Pease has been great so far.
So true. I don't know what possessed me to open this tin. I had just finished my JKP and thought what the heck... I'll change pace for a while and open something entirely different. I've never had cigar leaf before and I'm liking it so far.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I love Pease's Key Largo and Robusto; both have cigar leaf.
Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd is another great cigar leaf blend.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Key Largo is good, although it took me an entire tin to appreciate it. The cigar leaf isn't as in-your-face like Billy Budd.
Billy Budd is one of my favorites, and I smoke it stages. It's funny, when I come back to it after not having it a while, I always ask myself why I don't smoke it more often.
I tried C&D's Robusto, and didn't like it at all. It just tasted dirty to me.

P

pipebuddy

Thanks for your review, atskywalker. I read about how most people fing Pease's Red VAs to be sweet. I must be on drugs big time because whatever blend it is, I don't find them to be sweet at all.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
McClelland's Dominican Glory Maduro is another that I enjoy.
Ditto. One of my favorite cigar leaf blends. Key Largo was the first cigar based blend I tried. I'd crack another one open right now if I didn't have so many open tins already.
I learned to appreciate cigar leaf blends when I gave up trying to find on that tasted like a cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have so many unopened tins in waiting, but Key Largo and Dominican Glory Maduro are two that have been on my list for a while. DGM has gotten some bad-mouth, but I'ver learned to take some of that "under advisement." Just because someone else doesn't like a blend doesn't mean I won't. And I have to admit, the DGM tin is one of my all-time favorites, old time grandiosity. Have to love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.