PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I'm curious about the difference in flavour profiles between Kentucky and Latakia, both being smoke-cured leaves if I'm not mistaken. I haven't had much experience of Kentucky.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Different as night and day. Other's more expert than I will chime in but basically, I find the burleys to be stronger and impart a nutty taste and aroma while latakia is not as trong but has a camp fire type of aroma and taste. Put together, they are a divine combination.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
+1 on papipeguy. Totally different breeds. I dont detect any "campfire" smokiness from kentuckies where as with Latakia that is one of the main flavours. The cigarettes that I occasionally smoke are primarily kentucky, very nutty and creamy.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
It is my understanding that Kentucky is cured with heat not smoke.
Latbomber do you roll your own? Cigarettes, I mean?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I get tang from Kentucky and smokiness from Latakia.
Contrary to prevailing opinions, I prefer Kentucky as a stand-out flavor and Latakia as a condiment. An example would be the roles of the respective tobaccos in, say, Cumberland (Kentucky) and English Chocolate (Latakia). There are many, obviously, who prefer strong Latakia-based blends so I realize I'm in the minority.

Reactions: SoddenJack

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
It is my understanding that Kentucky is cured with heat not smoke.

All right, my bad. In the December issue of Cigar Aficionado there is an article on pipe tobacco used in some new cigar blends. The article states that "fire cured tobacco is cooked like barbecue, with the woods and their smoke imparting as much flavor as heat into the rafter-packed leaves." I stand, corrected. They also mention a Dominican pipe tobacco called andullo, which sounds interesting.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kentucky leaf is a cultivar of Burley. Latakia is made from either Smyrna or Shek-el-Bint -- Orientals. Dark fired Kentucky produces a delicate smokey taste that approaches that of Latakia. While a Latakia aficionado could tell the difference in one puff, I would be easily fooled. There is also McClelland Cajun Black, which produces Latakia's woodsy smokiness, and relies on a Kentucky-grown Virginia that's been fire cured and Perique-processed.
I agree with forum member Perique (sothron), that G L Pease's Cumberland is a fine example of wonderful Kentucky flavor.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yes, it's an apples and oranges comparison. I'm not sure anybody at CA knows anything about pipe tobacco. I stopped reading it years ago when it became quite obvious it was more about conspicuous consumption then anything else.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I roll my own, Drum tobacco.

I have seen their halfzware. It is good smelling tobacco.
it became quite obvious it was more about conspicuous consumption

It is, but it is also about sports and cars and a bit of tobacco. It is not a bad read and I'm a capitalist, so what the hell.

jdwickwire

Lurker
Oct 27, 2013
To me ( for what it's worth) Latakia has a sharp piney taste. No doubt from it's process. Dark fired has a hickory smoked bacon smell in the tin and a smoother flavor. Somebody previously said apples and oranges. Very true

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a useful discussion. Kentucky and Latakia seem distinctly different. Is most/all burley Kentucky grown?

McClelland Cajun Black sounds really intriguing if it attains a Latakia-like flavor from Kentucky burley. I can't

imagine it, from what I've tasted of burley -- Lane's Burley Without Bite, let alone Granger.

Status
Not open for further replies.