Kentucky Twist - Smokable as Well as Chewable!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am not really big on reviewing pipe tobacco. My last review covered the unfortunate demise of the Condor Plug now manufactured in Uranus Poland and known as the 'Uranus Plug' or 'But Plug' since it no longer tastes like the Irish version. I now turn my attention to Kentucky Twist. This was kindly sent to me by my dear friend Weezel. It can be a little difficult to track down but the effort is well worth while. The product comes in a translucent cellophane wrapper with the name prominently stamped on the front and the fact that it is chewing tobacco. In reality it is a 'twist' of tobacco and whilst it claims to be a chewing tobacco it is also very smokable. I found opening the packet that the 'twist' was a little dry so I placed it overnight in a tobacco jar with a couple of humidifying disks. On a side note here, Kentucky Twist in an unsweetened tobacco and would be classified as natural or raw tobacco. After a night in the humidifying jar the 'twist' became quite pliable and less brittle, also it tasted damned good to chew due to the absence to flavoring or sugar in the tobacco. Using a sharp plug knife I sliced about 2 1/2" of the 'twist' and cut it into small circles and then rubbed it out slightly. I used a small size meerschaum 'cutty' that I smoke black ropes from G&H. This was based on the reasoning that if this stuff tastes like a Reindeer fart it really will not impart long term flavors to the pipe since everything I like to smoke seems to remind most people of something unpleasant. I packed the pipe with the cut 'twist' and after a few attempts at getting it going using a No:2 Disposable French BIC it finally took off. In terms of flavor it was very pleasant with a good amount of white smoke. Once burning the tobacco turned into a grayish black ash and delivered a very satisfying nicotine punch. I was also surprised by the slow burning quality of the tobacco as a bowl full rendered at least an hour of pleasurable uninturrupted enjoyment. We now now come to the draw backs. In terms of room note it was definitely pungent and even after an hour or so the office still smelt how I would imagine the gun deck of the CSS Virginia smelled after a major engagement. All in all a very interesting experience but I think I'll stick to chewing the stuff.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Ahh, twist tobacco smells and tastes like home to me. I grew up on a tobacco farm in dark-fired country, and I never realized how much EVERYTHING smells like the stuff (esp. the homes of old people) until I left home. I have a chaw every now and then for a bit of nostalgia, but I've yet to smoke the stuff. I think all the twists are very similar, but I usually go for Wild Duck or Mammoth Cave.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Hap, I've never even HEARD of those twists. Something else to search the interwebs for and I appreciate the your sharing the information. That's the sort of thing that makes this site really great.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
CondorLover1/Simon, Achtung, am I right assuming this twist is of Dark Fired Kentucky?Moreover,I've been told some ole codgers in England do chew them strongish rope tobaccos occasionally as well. Best Greets & Take it easy, P

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I was a sprout of nine or ten, my pappy offhandedly offered me a chaw, and that satisfied me for chewing tobacco for life. It was, uh, impressive. I don't know if he meant to discourage me on the habit, if it was a prank, of if he just figured he'd let me try it. He'd chew mostly when he was gardening, which he did very well. Sadly, I never inherited his touch or feel for growing things. (Knowing him pretty well, I think he just let me try it, and let me and the 'baccy figure it out.)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Simon my Dear friend, so happy you enjoyed it! The stuff is certainly...Different... 8O

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great review (and honest). I am so sorry for the loss of your preferred tobacco. Times are a changing quickly.
I enjoy twists/ropes very much. But somehow I just end up chewing them instead of smoking them in my pipe.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303374-d1534420-Reviews-Mercado_Central_de_Belo_Horizonte-Belo_Horizonte_State_of_Minas_Gerais.html
Hi Simon,
The above is a link to South American plug which I intended to pursue but never did.Maybe it might turn up something for you. There's also some information about this vendor on this board.
I searched for Uranus and But Plug to no avail. I take them to be obliquely posterior references.
Sorry about Condor Plug going down. I never smoked anything else like it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@saltedplug I believe the local paper was called the 'Uranus Examiner'. You are as sharp as ever in that those references were my attempts at Xmas levity! I will check out the link you posted and report back on my findings. I hope you are doing well and looking forward to the festive season.

Status
Not open for further replies.