PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
This is not so much a review as a seeking of advice. I am still very inexperienced.
I bought 3 tins of GLPease Kensington after reading many reviews. I want to like it and I think that I do, but I want to optimize my experience. I noticed right away that the stuff was only prepared in January. Many of the reviews including one by Mr. Pease himself indicate that this tobacco really improves with age and may not have reached its potential when so new. None the less, I opened one of the tins and dove in.
The first thing that I noticed was that this stuff is really dry out of the tin. It is also in some larger chunks. I have not tried to rub it out at all but have just smoked it as is. I have just gravity packed since it seems to not like being packed down at all.
It burns very hot and harsh due to the dryness, but for some reason it is still a bit hard to keep lit. I try to puff slowly to avoid the heat but that just leads to more re-lights. I feel like I am missing the flavors that might be there if it weren't so dry. I feel like I'm smoking a green cedar tree that was cut down and turned into mulch yesterday.
Should I back-off and let it age in the jar for a while? Am I packing it wrong? Should I rub it out some? Or is this how is it supposed to smoke?
I am very tempted to add a few drops of water to the jar and see if I can dampen it up a bit. Would this be a mistake?
Please advise.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
First of all if you decide to rehydrate, use distilled water. Next there are degrees of dryness. If the product is slightly crunchy, but doesn't turn into dust when pressed, this how some guys like it. It really depends on you trying out all different stages of moist to dry and figuring out what you like, and some blends will burn differently.
"I have just gravity packed since it seems to not like being packed down at all."
If you have 'chunks' and they aren't in close contact with each other, it's harder to keep an ember burning smoothly. I would rub out the chunks to a consistent texture and gently pack the bowl. It should burn better.
I haven't had much success with the 'fold and stuff' method with flakes, which will burn and taste different than rubbing them out, but no matter how you fill a bowl, the tobacco pieces need to be touching to burn smoothly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stanlaurel, I would definitely buy in the smallest quantity available to sample any blend, no matter how ecstatically it is reviewed. One or two ounces is plenty to get the range on a blend, and then I'd only graduate to four ounces to see if it has staying power. People's tastes are so different, and there are so many excellent blends to be tried, why stock up on something before you've had a chance to size it up. Pipe smokers tend to be enthusiasts, or at least pipers of the Forums ilk. Nothing unsells a blend faster than suddenly being stuck with a substantial quantity of a blend that you don't fully enjoy. But yes, age it and see what happens, if after that, if it is not pleasing, see if you can trade it for something you know you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.